Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have pretty much everything except a smoker. I am looking into them, and wanted to know what you all think of the different styles out there. Because this is just for fun, and I am no pit master, I want something simple and inexpensive.

I would like to use wood, so no electric smokers, and I am assuming I could always use wood in a smoker that's labeled as 'charcoal'. So, are there any inexpensive brands that you would recommend I get started with? As much as I would love to have a full-time smoke house, I don't think that's feasible at the moment. lol

thanks!

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Amazingribs.com

I should stop at that, but I can’t.

A really, really, cheap grill, cabbaged from my youngest son is my smoker. Tightened up.

Im set for indirect heat, humidity, and temp control(a very good thermometer).

You can taste the wood, or can you? Gather as many varieties as you can.

Meatheads books are worth the price.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,821 Posts
Go to the Goodwill or watch the ads in Craigslist. We got a couple for $25 each.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Most any grill can be used as a smoker.
In fact, most any fireproof container can be used.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Most any grill can be used as a smoker.
In fact, most any fireproof container can be used.
I have to agree.

I had some Ribs the other day, found they were pre Cooked then Smoked. Oh they was soooo good.

Been thinking of Smoking some Trout.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
When I was a kid our neighbors had a smoke house, it would hold twelve hogs. It looked like a little stone house. The fire box was on the outside, with a cast iron door from an old locomotive. My dad would trade him a cord of apple tree wood for two hams.

Muleskinner2

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I've seen guys take an old stove from the kitchen drag it into the backyard and turn it into a smoker for next to nothing.
Char Broil makes a "Big Easy" electric fryer. I know you said you didn't want electric but with the smoker option you can add chips and it has very good reviews. Youtube it for a little looksee.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've seen guys take an old stove from the kitchen drag it into the backyard and turn it into a smoker for next to nothing.
Char Broil makes a "Big Easy" electric fryer. I know you said you didn't want electric but with the smoker option you can add chips and it has very good reviews. Youtube it for a little looksee.
Apparently electric smokers don't work real well in hot weather

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So, I have pretty much everything except a smoker. I am looking into them, and wanted to know what you all think of the different styles out there. Because this is just for fun, and I am no pit master, I want something simple and inexpensive.

I would like to use wood, so no electric smokers, and I am assuming I could always use wood in a smoker that's labeled as 'charcoal'. So, are there any inexpensive brands that you would recommend I get started with? As much as I would love to have a full-time smoke house, I don't think that's feasible at the moment. lol

thanks!
Brinkmans are pretty cheap and can be improved with a better seal and a couple of valves I started with one.

Drum smokers work well I've built and do used one. Right now the one I use mostly is a Webber Smokey Joe that my wife and kids got me as a gift.

I only have used Charcoal (lump) or wood smokers. I do know that the electrics are better for cheese and fish running less than 200°

http://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Cost-No-Weld-55-Gallon-Drum-Smoker/
https://www.popularmechanics.com/ho.../build-your-own-smoker-from-a-55-gallon-drum/

Reactions: dsmythe

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'm rather find of our electric smoker. It does use wood.....I can't imagine any smoker that doesn't.
We have a masterbuilt electric smoker.
Never had an issue in warm weather, only in the rain as we don't have ut on a covered porch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts