Smoked Young Turkey

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by big rockpile, Oct 2, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

So dang Hot I know them birds were cooking.Thought I'd add a little Smoke.

Hadn't ever killed a Bird with this Gun thought it would be a good time.Went down by the House found a good place to set.Started calling.Had one call back in front of me,then had one call just behind me.So I couldn't do anything.Then had one coming right in front of me,but turned went back in the brush.Finally had this one come kind of behind me,to my left.Got a Bead on its Neck,couldn't see until the Smoked cleared,there she was just a floppin.She was 25 steps from me.
    [​IMG]

big rockpile

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Black powder shotgun?

Congrats! Now you need to smoke it again....real maple syrup brine overnight and on the smoke cooker she goes!!!

:) :)

3. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

way to go rock pile.i love the smoke pole.i have killed several deer with one.i would love to get a shotgun like yours.where you get that at??what kind of charge/shot you use?? thanks for sharing with us and taking the time to do so.........barry

4. big rockpile

This is a CVA they no longer make them.I got this one off a neighbor.I loaded it with 1 1/4oz.#6 Shot,pushed by 90gr. Pyrodex.Thick Over Powder Card and Thin Over Shot Card.

Cabel's has a good Double Barrel.

I have an Inline Shotgun that is good,White makes it.

big rockpile

5. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

rock pile......i seen your in-line when you killed gobbler with it.where did you buy it at.i never heard of whites...???what kind of price?? you know i shoot 80 or 90 gr in my rifle.killed several bucks with cva hawken and a in-line.i think its plenty of powder.i got buddy's that shoot 150 every time.i think its awaste.also i like all lead bullets...i think they shoot better and kill better.my in-line is a .45 with a 26 inch barrel.i shoot 90gr with a ll lead 200 gr bullet and it shoots like a 30-06.i think it would be fun to have a shotgun like either one of yours.

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting a SxS black powder shotgun for a while rock pile ,& that one looks really nice. I own a genuine antique caplock SxS that was made in 1854, but it has damascus barrels & is no longer a shooter. My Grandad used to hunt with it back in the 1950s, but it hasn't been fired since 1958. I'd like to have a modern shooter. Congrats on that turkey!

7. big rockpile

Here is the Site for White Rifles
    http://www.whiterifles.com/

They are U.S. made,everyone that has one of their Rifles and Shotguns just love them.If I ever need to know something or have a problem they've always been there to help me out.

Me on my Inline Rifle I've always had good luck with 240gr.All Lead Sabot,pushed by 100gr.of Pyrodex.My .54Cal. Sidelock I've had good luck with Patch and Ball,pushed by 90gr. Pyrodex.I've used Great Plains Bullets in both and had no problem with them.

I've shot Muzzleloader since the early '70's.

big rockpile