smoked ham.....Boleyz??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nogreaterjoy8, Apr 15, 2006.

1. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

are these hams home-smoked? If so, will you share your technique? I have not had great success and ended up salt curing our last ones, but still want to learn to sugar cure/smoke them!

2. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

You need to get a wooden box, some (Brand name coming...you'll have to search for it) Sof-T-Salt (50 Lbs.) And a raw, green, ham.

This can only be done in cool weather...

Hang the ham for a day or 2 to "Season". Especially if it's fresh. (Cool weather = no blow flies)

Spread a 1" layer of salt in the bottom of the box. Rub salt generously all over the surface of the ham. Rub it hard, like you were trying rub it in, not just rub it on. lay the ham in the box and completely cover it with salt, leaving it about 1 " deep over the top.

I forgot to mention, that the box should have a slatted bottom so that water can drain out. I always set mine on newspaper, and then added the salt, ham and salt on top.

Water will be drawn out of the ham and be absorbed by the newspaper. After 2 weeks, remove the ham and empty out the salt. Re-do the whole process, turning the ham over this time. Leave it in for another week or 10 days.

Open the box, rinse off the ham, and wrap it in cheesecloth. Hang it in the smokehouse, and smoke it with hickory chips or sawdust every day for a few hours for about 3-5 days.

Slice it, fry it, and don't put any on top of your head, because if you do, your tongue will slap your brains out trying to get at it... :goodjob:

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

once it is finished can it keep with out refrigeration or does it need to be kept cool?Would you hang it in a wash room or garage after it is done? Do you absolutly have to change the salt when you re-do the process?

4. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I always change the salt because it is wet, caked and nasty after 2 weeks. I just don't feel like it is absorbed as well after it's wet...I may be wrong...It's just hard for me to lay meat I plan to eat back into a nasty-looking mess...ya know? I always just leave em hanging in the smokehouse. Cool is good, but not necessary. Once it's cured, it lasts a LONG time, as long as you keep the cheesecloth on it...

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Thanks a lot. I look forward to doing this when I get home. Never had the opportunity before, though I am sure my KY ancestors did every fall. Can I do the same to sheep and cow I dont see why not?

6. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

We get a ham every year and just keep it hung on a hook in the kitchen corner. I think it is a very frugal thing to have. Any time yu need some flavoring meat, slice some off. Cooking bean, slice some off. It lasts all year, and when your done with it, take the remains and make a huge pot of split pea soup and can it.
    A little of that ham goes a Loooong way in flavoring.

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Dry curing is not the only method. I dry cure bacon, but I brine cure ham. I use a comercial preperation with nitrates, I usually add brown sugar, honey, and maple syrup. The big rubbermaid tubs work great. You want to keep it around 45 degrees. I brine about 3 weeks. I cold smoke (under 140 degrees) for 48 hours using maple and hickory. A cold smoked ham will keep indefinatly. A hot smoked ham must be eaten immediatly, or frozen.

8. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

tinknal, can you share an exact recipe and instructions........the salt cured hams are just too salty to eat (although they are great for flavoring). The one time we tried to sugar cure we had trouble with the injecting, I think - didn't cover it well enough, maybe? Also, we kept them in the brine in the fridge - maybe it was too cold?

9. tinknal

I use make the brine as strong as it can be and still stay disolved in water, then I add the sugar products. Temps below 45 % will inhibit the absorbtion of brine. The brining time depends on how thick the ham is. I'll surf a little and see if I can find some good info.

10. tinknal