Smkoehouse Plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CBRYANT, Jun 3, 2005.

1. CBRYANT

CBRYANT Member

Hi folks,
    I have been looking for a set of smokehouse plans , but the ones I see one the net for free seem short of what I want. I am planning to do three hogs in 2006 and I want to smoke them ( I would also like to maybe do turkeys, deer and such ) . I have seen small ones but I would like to build a larger one so that i may be able to do the hams and bacon at the same time. but I have had no luck in my search.

Ok i could buy some but ..... I figure that the information is out there ( read I am cheap) ........... so can anyone help?

thanks

2. Hermit

Hermit Active Member

What size are you looking for?

What material do you want to build it out of?

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

4. CBRYANT

CBRYANT Member

thanks for the replies.........

well hermit, I was thinking of somthing maybe 8x8 ,and i have access to much old oak plank 2"x12" enough for the 8x8 . I saw the house that SYLVAR reffered to and i like it ... I think that I will try to scale it up and I think that I want a outside smoke source ( smoke pit ) . is this practical ....would use it ( and so would family ) if I had it .

maybe put a damper in the flue to control heat ........ just making plans now ...came across some resturant stuff I could use for shelving an d i plan on using the ss tables for a processing house (using parts from old cooler to control temp ) that is comming up as we speak.

thanks for input :bash:

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

6. CBRYANT

CBRYANT Member

thank you VERY VERY MUCH ANGIE, that was exactly what I was looking for .............and as you said there were many plans that if I only had time( but I think that 1 or 2 will make it on the roun2it list ). :dance:

thanK YOU again

7. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

You're welcome....

come back and tell us how the build goes, or just hang around and become part of the Homesteading family....

Angie

8. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Gee, this is one thing I wish my dad were here to ask. He knew all about butchering hogs, smokehouses (how to build and operate, etc.) and a whole lot of other stuff that went with him to the grave.

Dad's last "hog experience" was in the early fifties. He had a bar/restaurant back then and kept a few hogs in a pen up the hill from the place. They got fed scraps from the restaurant and when they got big enough they got "served"
    in the restaurant. Dad always used to say that when he had enough of the drunks in the bar, he'd amble up the hill and talk to the hogs. (Guess they made a lot more sense.)

Got a lot of archaic information from dad. Wish he were still here now!

Bob