Smelly question...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stirfamily, Oct 6, 2005.

1. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you get rid of your garbage? We just got our bill and it has gone up again plus they added an additional 8% surcharge because of fuel and enviromental factors that could go up or down next bill. This is just getting out of hand when it costs over $20/month just to get rid of trash!
    karen

2. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I have mine picked up too. $38 every 2 months. I jam 2 cans full. I've thought about fillin up my utility trailer and bring it to the dump, but then I'd have a bunch of garbage sitting around for a month or 2. And it would cost me like $10 for gas to the dump then whatever the dump fees, prob. $10 or more, so for now I'll pay for the convenience. and it would only save me about $18 every 2 months.

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

We burn what is burnable, foodstuffs go to animals or compost, and what does not or will not burn, gets taken to the dump about every three months or so at $7/pickup load. I have several plastic 55 gal barrels to store trash in until we go to the dump.

4. Fujiko

Fujiko Well-Known Member

You can start recycling, too. There's extra work involved, but it helps the environment, too.

5. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

In our county the garbage fee is part of our property taxes and we have no choice but to pay it. We also have to haul it, but we have a dumpster very near by.

We do have a local uproar brewing regarding garbage because the garbage company is removing dumpsters. They are complaining about the cost of fuel and believe their contract does not specify how many dumpsters they must provide in the county.

The belief of the citizenry is that they are going to try to force everyone to use the landfill which is "free" to the common man, but contractors and businesses are charged by weight. The landfill is miles and miles away from us.

Hopefully they will get this resolved. I am afraid to envision a scenario where we pay AND have to use the landfill. If they give us a choice of paying a fee or not, we will likely just burn everything that will burn and dump the rest when we need to.

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Burnables go through the wood furnace, keep the house warm.

Food goes to the cats, help with my rodent control operation.

Plant material goes into the compost pile in the grove.

Aluminumn goes to the recylcler every time I get 50 lbs or so together.

Cans & glass goes to the recyclig pickup place.

So, what garbage are you talking about? :) There is very, very little other, but I don't have any kids around, I understand that can make a difference....

--->Paul

7. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Garbage pick up is expensive here. We had it for a while, but stopped when they raised the price & insisted we use their smallish garbage cans.

Our township has a recycling center that takes cardboard & paper, plastic, glass & aluminum for free. The township also has dumpsters for bags of garbage, but it costs $1.00 per bag of trash. We recycle everything we can, even scraps of paper first and then we may have one bag "garbage" to pay for.

I should note that we don't recycle old bills & financial records because of identity theft worries and instead we burn that stuff a couple of times a year.

If your township doesn't have a recycling/garbage center, then check the other townships in your area. Our township doesn't check if folks from outside of the township are using the recycling center. We would rather have people pay the $1 to get rid of a bag of garbage then turn them away and have the garbage dumped on someone's land

deb
    in wi

8. NYhomesteadr

NYhomesteadr Active Member

local supermarkets have garbage cans in front of them. Also rest areas on highways have garbage cans.

9. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We go to the dump about every 2 months. We drop off the recycle stuff then pay about 5 dollars to dump the rest.

10. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

and gas stations

11. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've got a burning barrel and I burn everything that is burnable.

The metal and glass are the only things that won't burn so it gets washed out so it doesn't attract rodents or insects and put in a large bin. When it gets full I haul it to the landfill. Usually once every year or two.

Most everyone out here in the country burns their trash. I think I know maybe two people that pay to have it hauled out. I'll never pay for trash pick up again. They got me with that scam when I lived in town. What a racket the municipalities have in running that.

12. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about New York or the rest of the country, but in Maine they have a law against doing that.

One of the problems I see happening with the rising cost of getting rid of our garbage is that lazy, unethical, cheap folks are more than willing to just dump on a dirt road on someones private property rather than pay the fee(s).

13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

If it were me, I'd have a dozen trash cans and go to the landfill once a month. But she-who-must-be-obeyed has nixed that idea, so we pay to have it hauled every week. It does smell less doing it her way.

14. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

i have come to the conclusion that it's very fundamentally wrong for me to think I somehow have the right to get rid of things I don't want on other people's land. It's even crazier for me to expect it to be free and complain when it's not. What gives me the right to dispose of my waste poisons somewhere else? It's just so wrong that I have a hard time pretending that it's an OK thing for me to do. It makes me feel like I am not willing to take responsibility for my own actions.
    If I collect or buy stuff that I don't want, I think it should be my responsibility to stop it. I can complain that "they" sell it all wrapped up, but in the end it's just me complaining more and not taking the responsibility to change where and how i buy things.

All that being said, I have been trying to deal with my own wastes on my own land and recycle the rest.
    I have used the above methods to foster a real awareness of how and where I can improve my buying and collecting habits.
    I'm definately not there yet, though. I still buy stuff wrapped in plastic and whatnot. I still dispose of paint cans and plastic junk, etc. I consider my buying habits to be my problem, however.
    I guess my advice is to compost and burn and recycle on the outgoing end and to reduce reduce reduce the amount of stuff on the ingoing end. It takes practice, so I've been going easy on myself during the process. You can, too.
    ray

15. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Once a week, my husband loads the trash in the pick up and takes it to the dump.

16. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

The nearest small town has a good program for country dwellers. For $1.50 sticker can dump big trash bag. We usually have one every other month. They take cans/bottles and paper trash...we seperate this out and they recycle it. Most of our garbage is fed to chickens or composted anyhow. Of course,this use to be free and they had dumpsters in town but the lazy yahoos couldn't manage to put it IN the dumpsters. Always someone who has to spoil it for everyone. DEE

17. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Paper is burned

Dog & cats get eatable scraps

Aluminum, copper and brass are recycled (Lost our recycling center for the paper glass etc.)

Veggie scraps, moldy bread etc. goes into the composters

Cans, bottles, styrofoam trays etc are washed and put with other non burnables. Nothing goes into this trash bag (empty dog & cat food bags) unless it is stuffed with other trash or flattened

Garbage (food - of which I have very little) goes into a old 3lb cottage cheese tub in the refidge until full. It is then put into doubled plastic grocery sacks and frozen until we go to the dump and take all trash every few months. The dump is closed in the winter so it accumulates for the winter months and can be kept frozen in a garbage can in the garage if weather permits but mostly just kept in the freezer. A full truck is usually $5 and less is $3 depending on what you are dumping also. Restrictions at the dump are getting tighter so we may have to burn or bury the garbage.

There is no smelly garbage or trash around. It isn't that hard to wash cans etc.

Rambler asks a good question. Just what kind of garbage do you have?

Coalcabinroad - once a week? You must have a lot of garbage

18. gregg

gregg New Member

It sure looks like we have a great deal going..We pay 4.00 per month for the trash service.He comes once per month and empties 3 55 gal barrels.Mostly cans and burned paper products.We feed all scrape to the hogs, chickens dogs and cats...

19. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Barb,
    I'm curious why you take your food waste to the dump? we compost ours -
    I never heard of someone taking food waste to the dump :shrug: interesting

We burn paper trash, but I can't stand it when people burn plastics, etc.....we had a neighbor once that put all her trash in her plastic trash bag, threw it in the burning barrel & lit a match. Stunk up the neighborhood for hours -
    So, we burn paper trash - compost the food scraps - recycle the plastics, glass, newspapers, magazines. Then pay for trash removal for the rest.
    When we move in about 2 months we'll have to re-think everything - not sure that our new twp provides recycling.
    There were some threads a while back talking about how to reduce your trash output....I thought they were good. Some people on here are better at that than others. I saw a lady once in a magazine who challenged herself & at the end of 6 mos. she had a yogurt container & some rubber bands! Wish I were that conscious - we try to move in that direction.

20. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

People would be doing themselves..and the environment..a favor if all trash was sorted and separated.
    Vegetable matter can be composted..paper/cardboard can be composted or recycled or burned..food cans can be recycled or flattened..glass jars can be recycled or broken/smashed. Wood scraps can be burned or shredded/composted.

Plastics are a bit more of a problem..some places might have recycling drop-offs for plastics but most don't. Its not environmentally sound to burn plastics either..so these might be one of the few things that need go to a landfill.
    Chemical/paint containers can be stored until the community has their annual pick-up for these....if yours has that.

I would imagine most trash though is food stuff containers. Finding a way to compact the bulk will save money in disposal costs.