Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat...What are they Feeding You?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by HeavenHelpMe, Jan 5, 2007.

1. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

I have a cat. Well, actually she has us. She was a dumped kitty that just showed up a few weeks before Christmas. Pretty white thing that is part Siamese with the attitude to prove it.

Problem is, she STINKS to high heaven! Oh lord, this cat can gag you at 20 paces, she smells so foul. She's a big-time mouser, and she eats them-heartliy, I might add-and I know this is the problem, but I don't know if there is anything to be done about it. I've washed her as best as you can wash a cat and not need a blood transfusion, but the smell "emanates" from her body rather than comes off of her fur.

Poor kitty is pound-bound if I can't find a solution. Yes, I know it's a terrible thing, but I already have 2 cats and didn't ask for her. Some horse's bum just thought we would be totally thrilled to have her, I suppose. People assume too much!

Answer the question, save the kitty! Hope that's incentive. LOL!

2. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Does the cat drink milk? If so, try eliminating the milk from the cat's diet.

3. HeavenHelpMe

Absolutely not! No milk for our kitties, as we only have cow's milk at our house and it's bad for kitty tummies everywhere.

I even feed her the tartar control food/treat thingys. She has lovely teeth and shows them off often. But she still stinks like rotting animal flesh! :grump:

4. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Try alfalfa pellets. My neighbor takes them for his colostectomy bag smell. I've also heard of a kind of people deodorant called 'Body Mint'...same thing...you take a pill of what's probably horsepellets, and don't stink anymore. It might make for green poops, though.

5. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

You probably would have discovered this while washing, but is there any chance there are open sores or old exposed wounds? I have seen sores turn into rotting flesh on live animals before, so if there is any chance kitty has a weakened immune system or got into a cat fight this might cause the smell. It's an outside shot, but it does create quiet a stink when it happens. Hopefully the cat will stop rolling in manure or whatever it is that's giving you this problem!

Kayleigh

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Are her stools normal? Maybe an anal gland problem? Are her ears clean? Without seeing (and smelling) the cat I have no idea what might be going on. Could you try confining her for a few days so she doesn't get to catch/eat any mice and only eat what you want her to eat? I wouldn't give up on the kitty unless I tried deworming her and maybe a round of antibiotics if the worming didn't work.

Cat that have abcesses smell to high heaven-anything like that going on?

I am feeding my cats a raw diet and they don't smell like rotting flesh. And the litter box odor is less than when they were on kibble.

7. HeavenHelpMe

Yes, stools are normal, well-formed, not runny or soft. I'll try to worm her this weekend. She spends a lot of time outside, so I'm sure she isn't good right now.

She has clean ears, no scum from mites or anything. And no lumps that would be abcesses, as far as I have felt. She doesn't shy away from being skritched around her face, that's for sure. She was definitely an indoor/outdoor cat before she came to us. She is very sweet to people (hates our other cats utterly!), never is anything but a lady. I have the feeling that the jerks that dumped her did so because she is so stinky. There's no other reason that I can think of.

8. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

when my cats eat a lot of mice their poop smells horrendous but they don't. we get an influx of mice every fall...old house and all. I let one of the cats come in every so often. sometimes I have to clean the litterbox everytime they go its so bad. The worst though is when they catch something and are not hungry.......they play tug o war with it. I've seen them! The ringleader's name of course is Sweetie.

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking anal gland problems. We had a beautidul cat dumped here that smelled to the high heavens. My DD took her and made an vet visit. The glands were cleaned and the problem was solved.

10. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

you know I just remembered that one time we had a cat get an abcess from fighting with each other....they weren't really fighting just playing. Anyway we noticed that the one was laying around more and not being herself....I'd just had a baby so wasn't as fast to notice as I normally would've. Dh kept telling me that there was this smell around the washer and dryer. I started looking for it and found it. It was the cat. She was laying on the dryer...sick from the abcess. It was a really small place but oh man the odor coming from it would knock you out. Took her in to the vet and she came back out missing a huge piece of her hip from where the infection was deep inside. So check real good for any small holes.