Smelly adventures

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by havenberryfarm, Nov 1, 2004.

1. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

This weekend was quite a study in the adventures of country living. My dd turned 9 and I was getting ready to have her little girlfriends over for the night. I decided to clean the porch so I opened the door and what should I find but the tail, paws and internal organs of a rabbit. My cat thinks he is very generous to leave me these gifts. The carcass had attracted the chickens who then pooped all over the porch. I had cleaned up most of the mess when the first child arrived. I apologized to her mother and made some lame joke about chickens and she replied that she had geese when she was young and so she understood.
    The party started and my daughter decided to take her guests out to the henhouse to visit the chickens. Naturally, one of the girls got pooped on and had to change her shirt. In fact, by the time they were finished all the girls had stepped in something and had to change their shoes before coming inside.

After the party the kids went trick-or-treating. When we got home there was a horrible skunk smell everywhere and the dogs were sad and depressed because they had been sprayed and the perpetrator had escaped unharmed. My neighbor called me the next morning to report that a skunk had been hanging around her chicken coop and her husband had mowed its hiding place. Too late, I told her, my dogs had already met the skunk. The dogs smelled as though they had gotten sprayed from a distance, so I left them outside to "air out". In the meantime I aired out the house and finished cleaning up the diarrhea in the yard which my young goat had left in reaction to some medication. (She's better now.)
    This morning I opened the front door and found another dead, dismembered rabbit on the porch, no doubt related to the first one. My cat stalked into the house and lounged luxuriously on the couch, no doubt proud of his night's work. This time he only ate the head and left the rest of it for me. Very thoughtful of him. I was about to clean it up when the phone rang.
    I anwered the phone and chatted with my mother about the wonders of country living while I glanced outside. Then I saw it. Under the trampoline in the back yard was the body of a skunk. It was dead and stiff and I was greeted by two stinky dogs as I went outside to dispose of the corpse. They didn't seem to mind their stench this time, tho. They pranced and danced with me as I gingerly carried the body to the burn pile. I held it at arms' length and tried not to breathe as I walked quickly.
    What is it about living out in the country that makes a person willing and happy to do these things and consider them an adventure? It sure isn't the fresh air! :rolleyes:

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah the joys.....this weekend I discovered 200 lbs of thawed out meat in a conked out freezer. I guess the dogs and poultry will be living high off the hog for awhile, literally.

3. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Get some fabreeze at the store and spray the dogs it works great. May need 2 applications.

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

He He. Sounds familiar, although I have escaped the skunks so far! Mine is 17 peacocks who like to hang out on the deck staring in the sliding glass door!

5. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

One of our cats (a young, smaller male) left the nice gift of a pheasant hen on the porch. A few days before, my pregnant wife had seen one of the cats eating a small bird and was not looking forward to a reenactment with the pheasant. At her request, I made the pheasant go away and the cats had to dine in the pasture, well away from the front door.

I love country life!

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

How about when the neighbors all spread manure!

7. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

vinegar and water takes the skunk out of cats or dogs, just pour it on and then rinse. Do two times. My cat got sprayed once and i've never seen her eyes so red and ****ed off when i had to "bathe" her and she's as big or bigger than a small dog!

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

"How about when the neighbors all spread manure!"

Mine all have septic systems! :haha:

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

<Green Acres theme song playing>

Da-da-da-DAH-dum! Fresh Air!

First time we brought our dog to our newly acquired acreage, he found a lovely patch of something which a skunk sprayed, and rolled and rolled and rolled in it. Our lovely suburban dog, who'd never so much as caught a ground squirrel.

The ride home with Buster in the back of the Cherokee (buried under sleeping bags) is one I will never forget...

BTW, Dawn for dishes is good at cutting the grease from skunk spray.

10. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions for getting rid of skunk spray. I'll have to see what I have in the cabinet.

I got quite a chuckle thinking about the neighbors spredding manure. I'm really not looking forward to that either.

And to think we all thought we would have fresh air out here in the country!!! :haha: