smells like wet goat?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by fordson major, Aug 1, 2006.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

in an over grown area here, theres a plant smells like wet billy goat. :flame: hard to tell which as all the plants smell like wet goat! and no ,there has not been a billy here for 8 years and no where near this area! :shrug:

2. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thanks, not skunk cabbage! have smelled that and whew! could very well be a viburnum, there is a plant like that in the jungle!

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

It's probably not Valerian Officianalis because it is the roots that smell. The flowers have a nice fragrance. My first thought was a Viburnum also. zThere are some that the foliage is rather offensive. Skunk cabbage is found in pretty wet soils so it probably isn't that either. I've never been around goats though so not sure what to compare it to. I would bet it's a viburnum. Not all of them smell though.

5. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Could there be a stinkhorn hiding in there somewhere?

6. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago I got into studying mushrooms and went whole-hog about it. One day I found an odd-looking mushroom growing next to the house, picked it and put it into a paper bag for "further study". Next day I came home from work, opened the door and nearly passed out from the odor. Took several days to find where the smell was coming from, opened the paper bag and nearly gagged. Turned out to be a stinkhorn. I don't bring unknown mushrooms in the house anymore. :shrug: