Smell Smell Where Is the Smell?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Nov 28, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'm very scared of Fire.Well for about a week I kept smelling Wires getting hot.Told my wife I thought it was this one Light Fixture that I had trouble with a couple days before.For some reason we decided it wasn't the problem.

Well I spend two days smelling Outlets and whatever :shrug: Finally I thought maybe it was the Blower in the Stove Pipe.Go up spend $8 on a New piece of Pipe.Take the Blower out,clean the Flue good.

Next day smell it again :shrug: Wife thought it might be Dust getting Hot.So I dusted the House.

Still smell it.Fially we thought it was the Light Fixture again.Took the old one out.I smelled it.Told her I thought this was it! Haven't smelled it again. :rolleyes:

big rockpile

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Good job. That has to be a relief. :)

3. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

You sure don't want to ignore that hot wire smell!

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Wonder what was wrong with the fixture???

I seen your title---and it reminded me of a poem I memorized 35 years ago---The Title was SMELLS----

Daddy smells like tobacco and books
    Moma like Lavender and Listerine
    Uncle John carries a whiff of Cigars
    Nanny smells Starchy Soapy and Clean

Shandy my Dog has a Smell of his own
    When he been out in the Rain he Smells Most
    But Katie the Cook is more splendid than ALL
    She smells exactly like Hot Buttered Toast

Excuse the spelling, but I have never forgot this poem---I think It is Cute. Randy

5. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate mysterious burning smells too; feel like a darn bloodhound trying to sniff out the source!
    Bet that's a relief to discover it was the light fixture... fire freaks me out too.

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

gee between your electricals, propane and neighbours you gotta be real jumpy rocky!!! :flame: :rolleyes: :baby04: always play on the safe side, would miss yer posts! :Bawling: :cool:

7. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

My husband and I smelled a funky burning smell a few days ago. I jumped up and ran in the kitchen, snuffling like a bloodhound. One of the dogs had brushed his tail against the gas heater. :rolleyes:

He did it twice last year. Smudgy mark on the glass of the heater, a rough melty place on his tail, and the lovely odor of singed hair earned him the nickname of "smudge pot".

8. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

2 yearsa ago smelled something wrong DD4's room couldn't find it finally luckily 11 pm DH found we'd buried her night light under play clothes and a pillow and 2 silk scarves were smouldering away on the melted nightlight cover, bulb still on.

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

The Light Fixture had a Pull chain,there is a little Plastic piece in there it broke and was getting hot.

big rockpile

10. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Opps wrong thread>

11. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

One evening Roger and i were talking when he said he could smell wood burning. Since we were remodeling, he did a run around the house before checking the barn. We went out the front door and it was strong. Called 911 because it was coming from the homestead across the road.

A beautiful old farm house was reduced to rubble that night.

We're very aware of smells out here.

12. Rockpile, I was gonna ask you if you are using the right size of lamps in your fixtures. Being a electrician I can assure you that many people out there use too high of wattage for their fixtures. Thus creating burnt and frailed wiring and plastics. If a fixture says 60 watt maxium, be sure to not use more than a 60 watt lightbulb.

I've seen burnt and frailed wire from too high wattage of lamps and have wondered what kept the house from burning down. Just lucky for them, I guess!

13. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Good thing you have a good sniffer...I do too and its done me good at times....