Smell of mold

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sandave88, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. sandave88

    sandave88 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    90
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2005
    The land we bought has an old farm house and when we walked through we could smell mold. Is there a way to rid the house of that smell. I have one child with allergies and I don't want to live there until its taken care of. We plan on replacing wet drywall and any wet boards anything else we can do?
     
  2. OldFarmGal

    OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    406
    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Location:
    Missouri
    Locate the source of the moisture/dampness and eliminate it, if at all possible.

    Get a really good dehumidifier. Use bleach on locations where the mold is visible.

    If it's in the walls, you might be in trouble.
     

  3. culpeper

    culpeper Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,187
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2002
    Location:
    Australia
    Some general advice:

    Try to control areas of dampness around the house. Ensure that under-house areas and basements are adequately ventilated.

    * Replace cracked and defective mortar and make sure that outside drainage is adequate.

    * Clear away overhanging trees, creepers and shrubs from around the home.

    * Check for leaking pipes or taps.

    * Check hidden areas such as the tops of blinds, pelmets, high window sills and door jambs for dust. These areas make an ideal growing area, as dust and mould tend to live together. Open doors and windows to let out the moisture laden air. In bathrooms, kitchens and laundries install effective ventilation exhaust fans.

    * To dry the air in closets and other small storage areas, burn an electric light continuously until all signs of dampness have gone. The heat generated will be sufficient provided the area is not too large. Keep clothing and other items away from the bulb to prevent the possibility of a fire hazard. Install some form of permanent ventilation to prevent the problem occurring again.

    If there are carpets:
    Sponge with a solution of one teaspoon detergent, one teaspoon white vinegar and one litre of warm water. Dab with a solution of one part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts of water. Do not use peroxide on dark or patterned carpet.

    WALLS
    When painting, use a brand that contains an anti-mould solution, and choose a low-sheen or satin finish rather than flat. A further precaution is to add a tropical mould killer (TMK) into the finish coat when painting.

    Mix a quantity of bicarbonate of soda in hot water and apply to the affected areas with a clean cloth. Rinse off with another clean cloth and hot water, then apply a solution of vinegar and hot water with a third cloth. Rinse off with a fourth cloth and hot water, remembering to keep the rinsing cloths in separate buckets.
    OR
    Dissolve 20ml eucalyptus oil in 20ml methylated spirits and add to a pump-spray bottle containing 500ml water. Shake well to mix. Spray over affected area, a small section at a time, and wipe off, energetically if necessary. This also acts as a natural disinfectant.

    For general cleaning, bicarbonate of soda will absorb odours. And vinegar not only absorbs odours, it kills mould.
     
  4. turtlehead

    turtlehead Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,390
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Central WV
    Wow, this is great info! We have recently moved into an old farm house and the laundry/mud room has a huge mold smell.
     
  5. OldFarmGal

    OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    406
    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Location:
    Missouri
    What's a "pelmet"? :shrug:
     
  6. mtman

    mtman Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,260
    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    Location:
    AR
    if you can smell the mold its probely on the inside of the walls allso i would gut it mold is nothing to play with
     
  7. sandave88

    sandave88 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    90
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks for all the info about mold. We are planning on guting it all anyway just to make sure. We also need to check the electrical and plumbing while we have the walls down. Can't wait to get started on our dream farm......
     
  8. turtlehead

    turtlehead Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,390
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Central WV
    Sandave, you sound like you're embarking on an adventure similar to ours. Actually we promised ourselves we'd live in the old farm house a year and then decide whether to fix this one or build new. If we have to redo wiring and plumbing and septic and well and windows and floors and walls and..... well, eventually it gets to the point where you're better off just starting from scratch because retro-working everything becomes just as much of an investment (money and labor).

    Will you be living in the house while you do all this work? If we rennovate, we'll be living in the house while the work is ongoing. I figure we'll have stuff in boxes and out of place for the next five years. First it'll be :confused: then :bash: :stars: and finally :clap: :happy:
     
  9. mtman

    mtman Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,260
    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    Location:
    AR
    not true
     
  10. lilyrose

    lilyrose Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    91
    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    I really hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but I can tell you from past and personal experience that it's critically important you have a qualified person come into your home to see what types of mold are there and also, find out what the spore count is. Educate yourself as much as possible so you can find the right person to do this. Here's just one of many sites out on the internet giving information: http://www.mold-help.org/

    We had a home with mold once. I have allergies and hyperactive airway disease so it was critically important to get the mold problem solved. We had someone qualified to come in and run tests to see exactly what we were dealing with. Thankfully, the mold was not considered "toxic" but there was a lot of it and we had to have our house remediated. All this cost a lot of money.

    Since it was a leakage problem in the basement we had to then have a company come in and install an interior drain system to prevent further problems down the road. More expense. But doing all that cleared the problem up totally.

    Bleach will make the mold look like it's gone, but all it really does is make it look less obvious.

    I sure hope the best for you with this. You're smart to learn all you can since there are allergies in your family. Your family's health is more important than just about anything else. It is solvable, but can take money. Like someone else here said it may very well be better to just start over again depending on how extensive the mold is and what kind it is. In the Old Testament homes were burned if mold was bad. It can make some people really sick.

    Look more into it. Hopefully, all you have is just a small amount and it's easily remedied. It would be wise if you didn't live in the house until you know exactly what you're dealing with.
     
  11. nodak3

    nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    2,398
    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2003
    I have severe allergies and nearly died once when dh simply removed a shower surround to replace. There was a bit of mold in the insulation, but nothing major. Please don't move anyone with allergies into a moldy house!
     
  12. culpeper

    culpeper Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,187
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2002
    Location:
    Australia
  13. sandave88

    sandave88 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    90
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2005
    Well we are fixing up our city home to sell and we had a tub leak. Well today the plumber came over and had to take out a wall of tile. You see behind it there was a leak and mold was all over the back of the tiled wall. So I am already infested with mold. We are planning on staying in the apartment/barn if livable and if not possibly putting a trailer on the land until the house is fixed enough mold wise. The timbers used in the house are huge and sturdy. We just found out the home was built in the 1800's.
     
  14. lilyrose

    lilyrose Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    91
    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    I'm really sorry to hear you're going through what we did, Sandave.

    I think you are very wise to not live there until the problem is fixed. You're doing the right stuff.
     
  15. sandave88

    sandave88 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    90
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2005
    We also discovered that the water heater pipes had burst last winter.The ceiling also has a leak that has opened the ceiling and run down the wall. (Trying to figure out how to post pics) Mtmn thanks for the link gives me hope that it can happen.