Smallest goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chickflick, May 1, 2006.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Would a Spanish/pigmy goat be the smallest I could get/find?

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

No. I think that a small pygmy/nigerian would be the smallest that you could find/get. Spanish goats are medium sized from what I have read, so that would mean that a pygmy/spanish cross would be bigger than a pygmy or a nigerian.

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I've actually seen some really tiny Nigerian Dwarfs. Cool colors with blue eyes. Sold as pets.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have a mutt goat that is a triplet, and she is half the size of her siblings, and they are all either pygmy or nigerian crosses, so she is a peanut, when she was born she didn't even weigh a pound!

5. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Spanish is a meat breed and it's pretty big! (Hence, meat.) Nigerian Dwarves can be pets, OR DAIRY. Small time family dairy, but dairy nonetheless. Pygmies can get a big barrel, even if they are crossed with a Nigerian. If you plan to breed, don't get the smallest goat you can find, health problems often come with it, get a small breed, like a pygmy or Nigerian Dwarf.
    ~Carrie C.
    p.s. - Stunted growth can come from a variety of problems (Mineral deficiency comes to mind).