Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
What age range? I'd stay away from the early 2.8/2.9 Ford V6 and the 2.8 Chevy V6. They offer no advantage over the 4cyl. No real problem with the 4.0L Ford and 4.3L Chevy. Both good enough engines. Ford also offered the 3L Taurus engine in Ranger for few years, never heard anything bad about it.

Had friend who regularly hauled ton feed in his '91 Ranger with 4cyl. Its the fuel injected 8spark plug version. Mid to late 90s Ford offered a stroked 2.5L version of LIMA 4cyl before they went to the modular engines.

Buy enough truck for your needs. There is no way to make a small truck do the work of a heavy duty 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Just the reality of the world. And if you are thinking of small 4wd, the 4wd versions of Ranger/S10 didnt get significantly more mpg than full size half ton 4wd, but had significanly lighter duty components.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
I know for a fact that when I had my 1984 S10 till June of 2008 and then bought a 1999 Dakota, both with V-6's and I have only seen a $2.00 increase in my quarterly insurance payments.. Now I'm only carring liability and medical and such, not full coverage..

The S10 was a standard cab with a long 7' bed and 2 wheel drive
The Dakota is a extended cab with a 6 1/2' bed and 4 wheel drive

So take it for what it's worth

·
Rockin In The Free World
1,058 Posts
Yup, Rangers are one of the cheapest vehicles to insure here as well - trucks in general are fairly cheap. Why? Not exactly sure, but I'd assume that low theft ratings and high safety ratings may have something to do with it.

Ironically, a 6 cylinder Ranger and a 6 cylinder F150 will be very similar from a fuel efficiency standpoint - so there is not much to gain there by going to the smaller truck. On the used vehicle market here, Rangers appear to sell for considerably cheaper than the F150 - for similar years and conditions.

As usual, any vehicle is a compromise between cost, fuel efficiency, reliability, ability, insurance rates, etc. etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The finest vehicle GM ever built is the S-10 and it's variants. Get one with the 4.3 and a manual tranny and drive it for the rest of your natural life.

Stupidest mistake I ever made was to sell mine. I know who has it, and it still is on the road with over 400K miles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks i work with a guy who drives a ranger and is regularly pulled over by MTO for checks and its solid just looks rough, so i will keep my eyes out for a S10 then(grew up with chev, gmc, and dodge so i cant be seen driving a ford lol) i dont need one until after mid may just am looking for one and eye shopping

1 - 6 of 6 Posts