Small town values alive and well....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Loumeister, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Loumeister

Loumeister Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm kind of new to the country life, actually not quite there yet, but getting closer. About a year ago, we bought 100 Acres just south of Canton,Ohio. It's buetifull, and was intened as kind of a vacation / weekend place, but on Sunday's when it's time to head back home I really don't look forward to leaving at all. Anyway, it's about 10 Minutes away from the closest town, and last weekend when we were working on some stuff, I had to head into town and pick up some pipe fittings and other plumbing stuff. I go to pay and realize this little store doesn't accept credit cards, and I'm standing there with this dumb look and the $5 i had in my wallet, about $20 short of what I need. The lady behind the counter says to me " are you bit short" as she can see me looking through my wallet, and the at the sign that says "no credit cards", I say yes. I almost fell over at what she said next. She pulls out a notebook, and asks me to write my name down with the amount that I would owe, I ask her if she wants to see my license and she just smiles and say "No, I trust you". She may have seen me in there once before a few months ago, but I doubt she remembered it, and she just extended me $20 of credit without even knowing my name. Needless to say, I took care of it this weekend, and was still thinking it is great to know that these kinds of places still exist. Anyone else ever see anyhting like this firsthand. I've lived in the city all my life, and this was something straight out of Mayberry for me. I love the country lifestyle....

Loumeister

2. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

What a nice post!
    Yes, a similar thing happened to us when we moved to the small town life.
    One freezing evening our furnace croaked off...
    Hubby did a quick check and knew exactly what part we needed, but everything was closing, and we were 1/2hour + away.
    We called one place and they said they had the part, but couldn't wait for us. They said they would leave it in a bag by the door. Just leave a check for $80.00....

It was astonishing. It changed us.

3. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

The nearest town to us is about 35 miles away and population 2200. The local feed store does lock the door at night but leaves the gate open in case farmers need emergency hay, fencing materials, etc. The owner said they have never been burned as far as they know, and they come in on monday morning to find checks under the door for various things.

A few years ago my husband had emergency open heart surgery, and was in the hospital at then end of the month when our car licences were due. I went in on about the 5th of the next month when I could finally get into town and went to the tag office to pay. I expected to pay a late fee and even asked her if she was going to charge the late fee (I had already told her why we were late). She said, "Well, honey, you didn't try to be late did you? It wasn't like you were driving around all that time. Why should you have to pay a late fee?" You gotta love small towns!!

I was traveling once and had accidently paid a bill twice which would have caused an overdraft. I called the bank when I realized it, and asked if I could do an advance on my credit card to cover it. She said she couldn't do that over the phone, but since I didn't mean to overdraw the account, she would watch for the check and hold it till payday a few days later.

These are only a few of the nice surprises we have had being in a small town. I was raised in Atlanta, and my husband San Diego, so this is REALLY small town for us.

4. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

About two miles down the road, we have a little mom and pop grocery that also carries hardware and animal feed. As long as you're from the area, they will extend credit to those in a jam.
    Found this out a few years back when I was quite ill and the lady that was helping me clean stopped to buy some supplies and they "put it on my tab".

5. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Small rural towns ~ aren't they THE BEST?

6. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

A similar thing happened to me also, only it was $200. worth of electric wire. Just pulled out the notebook and wrote it up. Went to the Amish hardware store for a gal. of paint, paid with a $50. bill and he didn't "check It" to see if it was good.

7. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I do it quite often. I have been burned a couple times, but I refuse to take the attitude that big stores do. I am going to trust people untill they give me a reason not to.

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

God bless all the little Mayberry's near our homesteads!

9. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I called someone to put a well on my property and he came out to see the location I had marked. He quoted a price and said he'd call me later when he was ready to drill.

I drove by last week and I had a well there!!!! I called him and he said he had time that day, so just went ahead and did it. I asked him if I should drive over to his house and pay him, and he said, "nah, the wife will bill you later".

We're talking nearly $2K and he trusts me.

CC
    in Ohio

10. wishomesteader

wishomesteader Well-Known Member

yes, this is a everyday occurance around here. I was also shocked when I found out about it. I never have heard of this except "Little House on the Prairie" I can't see ever not paying my bills to these kind folks...though there are some who may not do so. I love the small town life.

11. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I have experienced almost every one of these situations... and they just keep coming!

A few days ago we drove to Little Rock to pick up my daughter at the airport. Her plane was delayed, so we were much later getting home than planned. It would be getting dark soon and I was worried about my critters.

When we pulled up at our house, there was a neighbor sitting in his truck. He said he drove by and noticed we weren't home yet, so was sittin' there waiting for the rest of my chickens to go into their house. He was gonna lock them up for me so nothin' would get them. He had also fed and watered the pig so we wouldn't have to do it in the dark.
    In the midst of this, he had killed a copperhead (the first we'd ever seen around the house) right by our driveway!

We never worry around here. Good people, here and in town.

12. DownHome

DownHome Well-Known Member

At first my husband hated small town life, silly city boy. It still makes me chuckle when I think about it. Town was so small, you knew everyone worth knowing and knew the ones to stay away from.

I put my soon to be husband on my account and a few days later I send him in to withdraw some money for something or other. I didn't think a thing about it, never had a problem before. I knew the bank owner, all his kids, the teller, her kids and nearly everyone who graced the door.

First I get a phone call from the teller: Conversation goes something like this: "Down home there is a gentleman her wanting to withdraw money. He says his name is Joe, do you know who he is?"
    Oh yes, we are getting married. I sent him over.
    I did hear you were getting married, sorry that slipped my mind. Congratulations....blah blah whole conversation ensues about wedding while Joe stands there waiting LOL

Then, Joe brings money still mad mad mad mad that they had the audacity to practically accuse him of bank robbery just because they didn't recognize his face. How dare they not trust a complete stranger :)

After 10 years I still think it is hilarious. You can forge a signature, but it is a little harder to forge a face :) Wouldn't trade small town for a million bucks LITERALLY!!

13. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Exactly what I am looking for. Can anyone suggest an area near Indianapolis that still retains these types of values?

14. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

In my old neighborhood, if I couldn't get to the store before that closed, I could call in my order and they'd leave it at the back gate for me. Even though I offered to give a card over the phone, I'd always get a "pay next tiem you come by". They didn't even write it down. They trusted me to say what I had ordered. There was a little hometown restaurant where we'd stop for breakfast way too often when my DD was going to school. I got there one morning with no cash and no check in my checkbook. Got the "pay next time you come in" there too. In my new town, the teller at the bank saw that a check would hit my account that night and send me into overdraft. Seh called me and said she deposited $1.90 into my account from her own pocket so my check wouldn't overdraw my account and that I could give it back to her the next time I came in. I was really flooded. I've been having so many problems with the neighbors, that it was a real pleasure to have someone be so nice to me in this new town. I took her the $1.90 the next day and took her lunch. :)

15. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Goodness gracious, sounds like a sterotype in the making.... sorry folks. Small town values include a lot of stuff that isn't so pleasant. Just try to be hispanic or non Christian in the South... case in point: stupid little country store with a warning: "Ten Commandments inside if you don't want to see them don't enter!" ROFL. When I called them while still living in Florida looking for someone to cut my pasture before I moved in, she hung up on me. She's been just as pleasant after my move. My visitors are described by their ethnicity or handicap. Your neighbors know what your mail is about. Hire a local person to do work and the entire community knows your business. That woman who gave you credit? She told the entire gossipping population the next day. There is no ideal place, sorry. Not in the cities, not in small towns. Your make your own ideals and hopefully someone will use the Golden Rule and treat you just as well before they succomb to stupidity. Mind you I love my small town, but people are people and people can be downright stupid and mean anywhere.

16. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

And you don't want others to stereotype you? Obviously you don't know(or probably have no intent on learning) these values.

17. iocane

iocane Active Member

I extend credit to people at the fruitstand and I never tell people about it. I don't want to many people knowing that I extend credit so easily. Anyway with a small town, it still depend on the individual people. Some are rumour mills, others are perpetual good samaritans, others alwya slooking for what they can sneak off with, others always ready to comes to the rescue. All types of people, and all types of small towns.

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yeap :) Rooman???? "Values" is a word... a foggy term if you will. The type of vagueness which suits politicians when they want to win an election. I've lived in the South for 36 of my 42 years, can't speak for another area but those smiles don't always seep all the way to the bone.When they do, when those smiles penetrate flesh, organ, and bone, they are from people with an abiding love that matters not if they smile on a mountaintop, valley, traffic light, grocery store, or Sak's Fifth Avenue. A country extension of "generosity" means only they haven't been screwed over enough to stop taking credit yet. People are people and business is business, doncha know?

19. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Tango I'd have to wonder just how much of that baggage you carried with you to your place. Your post sounds like you're a glass half empty type of person. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Now I'll get to my point---you don't have to be in a small town to find those kind of folks. At the risk of embarrasing him I'll take my hat off to BOBK from this here very board. Bob, just got email from the wife, the turkey and chicken eggs you sent made it in today--has them in the incubator as we speak (dogs will have a little snack). Folks BOBK sent the eggs for the price of shipping and packing THEN sent me a message to let me know how much he spent to send them to me. Thanks again Bob, I'll let you know how the hatch went.

20. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

That's the way it used to work around here. I've called a local store at closing time. I told the owner what I needed and he put it in a bag for me, set the bag outside on top the ice machine so I could pick it up. He just jotted down a ticket inside and next time I was in the store I paid him. He sold the store a couple years ago and the new owner is changing the store to make it more "big city" type. I miss the old owner. It's nice to know there are still people like that in the world.