Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill I took your advice and decided to advertise in a paper a little further away from us. When I got the ad placed, as follows:

"Farm fresh eggs, farm raised Cornish X Broiler chickens, meat and breeder rabbits"

with just nearly the last $20 on my credit card (they had to have payment in advance), the woman said, can I get your address, I know of a family who is looking for the fresh chickens. We have been selling them for $8.50 but I told her $9 (I know it's not much of a step up, but I figured it was a start). She said, okay, I'll have them call you if they want some of the frozen ones, but I know they will want some of the fresh ones right after they are processed, before being frozen.

So, at least its a small start, right?

Could I ask that anyone out there that prays, would you send up a couple of prayers for us, if you think about it, please?

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Ya just never know who's gonna help ya out... Get those cards! That may be a much larger step than you realize at this point... Stay after it...

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have some printer style business cards in my storage boxes. I will try to find those tonight and see if I can just print up some myself, how would this look you think?

DUNROVEN FARMS​
712-668-4245​

Farm fresh eggs, Cornish X Broilers, meat Rabbits and Breeders
Meat Goats, Pot Bellied Pigs, Muscovy and Rouen Ducks, and Turkeys

Call for Prices.​

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
V ,I've been trying to find the Iowa statutes regarding marketing and labeling - they've hidden them very well. In Ohio (and I know in some other states) the verbiage "farm fresh, fresh from the farm, and similar verbiage is not allowed. If you know of a link to the Iowa Code (statutes, whatever they call it there), I'd review it - send me the link, I'd like to read through it right before I go to bed tonight. No better way to get sleepy than reading through a bunch of legal statutes...

You might as well start complying at this point - the LAST thing you need right now is some nut job with the Iowa Dept of Ag getting crazy about the wording on your advertising / labeling. It's not that hard to stay in compliance in most cases.

But yes the business card looks fine - good job - just capitalize the 'm' in meat LOL

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
................Good luck too you and I hope you discover new strategies to improve your business and cash flow . Don't forget God will present you with solutions that you can't even conceive of when it seems there are no possible solutions . Just don't give up and deal with the situation on a day to day basis . , fordy

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fordy! I appreciate that!

Bill I will see what I can find and let you know, and I'll change the M

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pony! I appreciate your support as well. Can't be up without the support of everyone on here and I am just trying to let God handle it all for me. I surely can't do it.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Hang tight. I think all Homesteaders face the same challenges. The stories we all have and the few that we have shared together here tell me that it is a hard life but truly well worth it.

Here is a tip that really works for us.

Home deliveries.

How it works is I HAVE to take family members to doctors every week (oh joy) Since The gas has to be used I cold called on places on the way (heck - I needed gas to get home) Well, I got customers. I splured ( really marketing and time saver) by buying cheap (less than $3.00 for ----e small styofoam coolers- large enought for a feww dozen and a chicken) Slap a free "Alaskan Grown" lable and printed is bright color "Taylor's Nest Eggs - Home delivery xxx-xxxx) Now how would I know that those cools would become Conversation pieces in the area and for guest and family and even door to door religion sellers)

How it works is they have a standing order. I deliver as I do my run around. The coolers serve a communication tools, carton returning system, and billing system. I can leave notes of specials. They can leave the money and any special add ons for next week. the benfit is NO wasted time. Ringing the door leads to talk, talk is nice but time is money- 10 min is 10 min.

Also I also carry extras when I have them I hit up and cold call the neighbors of people I deliver to leaving a flyer for those not at home my number and the number of the neighbor (with their permission) as a refence.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Who would think that because I am homesteading I am in a small community and that I have to travel very far to go to the Doctors. I go to Kenia and to Soldonta. Often times people want what I have but I can not slide them in to where I deliver (miles and time) so I am setting up helpers via elders in the church. I have Soldonta covered. A friend has a business (storage units) and in the office they have a fridge. I can get eggs to them quickly (lots of church meetings plus thier home is close)

I get a call that a reg NEEDs extra eggs or what ever sooner than what I can cost effectedly drive to them and they can not get to me. Well if they can wait till the next day they can pick them up in Soldnota. I am working on find someone in Kenia. This also aids in covering a larger area for me. New people here about me and I can not stop to deal with them personally so if they can get to Soldotna it all works.

I still have late April and early May where I had to donate 96 dozen eggs in two weeks due to lack of customers (farmers market is when I need eggs and that is about 18 weeks but I make connections and the birds do moult in the fall and we butcher.

If the farmers market brings me brings me 10 new people wanting weekly del year round the I most likey gained the sale of 20 doz more a week in the winter we all know the eggs numbers go down. I cull hard but I get chicks late in the season because they have to have chick feed and in the winter their is no grazing option so the cost is high. culling the big girls cuts my feed bill and the babies grow into being costly just as the field are ready and they are starting to lay so that is why just befor the market I am stuck with eggs big time.

We NEVER sell a week old egg. We have our standards and it shows and people love that. People here in Alaska really like fresh eggs. We used to only have boat eggs and powdered eggs. My best customers were raised on that I rarly had a fresh egg growing up.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Business card right on. Home depoe has magnet ones 50 for 14 dollars AK price. Use them. Fridge magnets -Eggs go in Fridge- Right in the face when some one is out. Fifty is not a lot But it is enought to give to those already using your eggs. Also make a rhyme Jingle of your phone number get it so they can not forget your number. People call me the egg lady at XXX-CCCC. they can not remember my name but they have my number down.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I wouldn't use "farm fresh" on my card, simply because it's a phrase that's on every egg carton out there and doesn't mean anything. Instead, use some thing to the effect that you raise these animals yourself. We raise cornish x broiler chickens, (and the rest), and end with "brown eggs". People associate brown eggs with old fashioned fresh from the farm. Of course, if you have white eggs---

You might even have a second tag that reads, Our free ranging ducks and chickens provide delicious eggs.

Put a frame around the card, turquoise is nice, or mint green. Your printing should be in navy blue rather than black. I'd also use a clip art of a rabbit or chicken, or a drawing your kid made (judgement call). I like that your phone number is set up by itself. A glance at your card will tell the viewer exactly what you do without having to read it.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I am going to go pretty simple with the card at this point, but I'll work on magnetic and borders and such another time, when I can afford more color cartridges, etc. Right now, the main goal is to get some money coming in. We did put 2 ads in 2 different papers and will reach about 3 counties with it. We did sell 6 dozen eggs this morning.

I got sticker shock when I went to the store "No Frills" Saturday. These stores are in Nebraska and there is this one in Iowa. Anyway, brown eggs, $1.96 a dozen! This is a discount store! I was amazed. Anyway, the eggs were smaller than mine, and of course not as fresh. Hubby then checked another store yesterday, and they don't even carry brown eggs!

My white eggs are large enough that it is hard to hold 2 of them in one hand. They are just huge and you wouldn't believe my chickens are laying these! Little white Leghorns. My husband has been so impressed with their eggs, he had me put 45 in the incubator so we could hatch out some replacements for these birds and I think we are going to do another 45 when these are hatched, so we can keep some replacements going. Will have to get some leg bands before they are ready.

I am also looking forward to my Buff Orpingtons getting up to size to lay. I have 10 hens and they sent me 4 roos with them. I asked for 1 and they sent 4, so I'm going to have 3 nice plump birds for my freezer.

The guy came by and picked up his 6 dozen eggs this morning and we talked about cornish x chickens and rabbits, and he is going to talk to his mother to see what she might want and when and have her call us, so it really is a start.

Thanks again everyone. I needed you all and you were here!

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Dunroven,

Are you anywhere close to Dubuque? If so, I would love to buy from you (I live 15 miles away from D). Sounds to me as if you are off to a good start!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts