small small beetles

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by greenboy, Oct 2, 2005.

1. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

I got hundred of them in my eggplants, they eat the leaves but not the produce
    they are small (smaller than an ant) and black. What the heck are they and How I could control them organically. Helppppp!! :help:

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

sounds like flea beetles. i don't know how to get rid of them, and i quit growing eggplant because of them. co-worker says he leaves it alone all summer, and at the very end of the season before frost, all of a sudden the beetles die off, and he gets a few eggplant. other than keepng them under a remay cover all year, i don't know what to tell you. hope someone with more sense comes along soon.

3. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

Thanks anyways, but I think you are right in the money, flea bettles...

4. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Try planting radish or daikon as a trap crop.

5. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

we get a tiny black beetle that falls from the tall pine trees it produces a terrible itch on our arms - when we touch them they crumble to dust. They seem to be attracted to white, those who wear white tshirts or caps get more of them than the rest of us.

I thought these may have been flea beetles, am I mistaken?

6. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I don't think that's flea beeles. I think it's something else. Flea beetles are hard to spot, you usually just see the damage they cause.

7. Dragon Lady2

Dragon Lady2 New Member

Try High Pressure water initially to wash them away - then follow up with 1 tbls cooking oil mixed with 1 tbls dish soap - cheap stuff. mix with qt of water and spray - spreader/sticker type spray. There is also, neem oils, pyola, safer's soap - check to see which works on flea beatles or japanese beatles.

The bugs attracted to white and make you itch - those are chiggers. They will get into panty lines, socks etc. Vinegar bath helps. They literally burrow into your skin. Makes me itch just thinking of them and I have kept them off for years. I started using pennyroyal oil (3-4 drops only) into a bottle of Avon's skin so soft. Shake and you have a pretty useful bug spray - I have never had a problem with the pennyroyal oil. Do not allow kids to get into it - and it can burn if applied direct - always blend it. This works on skeeter, ticks, and chiggers.