Small Shetland Flock for sale

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by lisarichards, Jan 10, 2007.

1. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

We had settled on breeding Icelandic sheep when friends of a friend needed to get rid of this flock when they lost their farm in Vermont, so we took them in. (free sheep in winer -- the start of a parable ... )

Keeping two separate breeds is trickier than we want right now, so we would like to find a home for them. We are aiming for a sheep dairy ourselves, and it is really rare to milk Shetland ewes.

Two of them have papers, three of them are registerable, and we will put you in touch with the original buyers. The ram is not registered.

There are four ewes, almost certainly bred, one ewe lamb that we are not breeding, and one ram.

Two of the ewes are fantastic mothers (Jarret and Valentine), twinning with lambs that bounce. Two of them were bottle babies themselves, and each gave a single who we had to supplement and teach them about mothering. We are giving them a second chance this year. (Cocoa and Sassy)

They came with a Shetland/Icelandic cross wether (Leon), and though I should send him with his girls, he has become my favorite sheep. We'll have to talk about him!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisanh/338953943/

We are in southwest New Hampshire. I have a two-horse trailer that they will all fit into, so can deliver within a reasonable range.

They thrive on so little hay compared to my Icelandics that it is crazy. They browse as well, and prefer brambles to grass. I give them a little grain each day, mostly to keep them a bit tamer.

Anyway, they'd make a great little flock for someone trying to reclaim fields. They are trained to electronet, and are not houdinis like my Icelandic girls.

Very sweet, pretty fleeces, mini sheep almost.

Contact for more details.

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm an Icelandic person myself and I had to laugh at your description of one breed vs. the other.

But I'll pass. Icelandic carcasses are about as tiny a rib chop as I'd care to go!

3. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

4. lisarichards

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I am in NY and am interested. I have Icelandics and maybe we can do a trade ???? Maybe you need a new ram ??

Patty
    forbesfarm@msn.com

6. lisarichards

Just like that -- poof -- they are gone. I miss them already! But they went to a great farms, so I'm glad. I ended up keeping my wether, too, which I'm very glad of.

Thanks for all the interest.