Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I are planning a very small potting shed that will be built of recycled windows and lumber. We're in the sticks so appearance isn't crucially important, I figure we can manage something sturdy since we've built a couple of things before.

But I want a gravel floor over something like a landscaping fabric base, so we can spill or rinse something off without worrying about a solid floor. I just can't figure out how to have a gravel floor that keeps critters from being able to dig in under the sill. We are thinking of using the pier blocks for corners...maybe hardware cloth laid like flashing around the base of the walls? We're on a mountain so not much level ground around us.

Hope I'm even making sense here...basically if you wanted a gravel floored structure that still kept critters from getting in how would you build the foundation? And in a way that is also cheap :D

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Your idea seems fine with the wire ran outside. If this is a small shed you could also put wire just under the gravel, like a cattle panel laid down, then build on top and fill with gravel maybe. Outside of a concrete footer all around, that is all I got??

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you are building a potting shed you can build it like a pole building. Put rot resistant poles or salt treated poles in the ground. Put a rot resistant board or salt treated board around the bottom and then put your windows or other siding from the board up. If you are on a slope you will need to step the bottom board up to a level floor area. Then fill with gravel a little above the bottom of the board. This will keep the critters out. For a little more rodent security you can put wire down before putting in the gravel. You could then use the gravel for a floor and if you wanted to get a little more fancy you can put some pavers on top of the gravel. Putting a gutter up would keep the rain water from coming off the roof and splattering on the siding. The gutter will also come in handy for a rain water catch system.

·
Super Moderator
13,689 Posts
You could consider mixing concrete with the native soil to make a rough surface dirtcrete floor surface for only the cost of 60 pounds of bagged concrete to create manmade hardpan rock that retards grass growth and mole penetration for years an if it does get breached can be easily and inexpensively patched with more dirtcrete mix as needed.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I have paving stones down on a thick layer of sand over pea gravel. The water goes right down, no movement of rock underfoot as with gravel. Paving stones right to the edge to keep varmints out. The paving stones were the darkest they had to soak up heat during the day. There is a company that makes them near and I bought seconds 1/2 off....James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts