Small Scale Grain Threshing?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by John Schneider, Apr 6, 2006.

1. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any plans or pictures of small scale grain threshing machines? I have found one article on-line that has plans for converting a leaf shredder, but I am looking for more pictures and ideas to go on.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You might do as the pioneers did, and flail the seed out of the straw. They brought the sheaves of grain into the barn where they had a wooden floor especialy for threshing out the grain with wooden flails which were basicly wooden saplings that were pounded soft at a spot about 3 feet from one end, They used these to pound the grain from the straw as it lay on the wooden threshing floor. The straw was picked up with pitch forks and the grain was left on the floor. They took the grain and threw it into the air letting the wind blow out the chaff. This was called winowing the grain. You would also need a cradle to cut the grain by hand while the family members tied it into sheaves which they put into shocks to dry out well before threshing.
    It's no wonder the threshing machine was so popular years ago.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Gene Logsdon's book "Small Scale Grain Growing" (out of print but available at a steep price used) has some info about threshing grain and some ideas that I keep thinking that I will try. The book is available on the internet http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/030210logsdon/030210toc.htm
    and includes the instructions for Rodale's home built thresher that I was thinking of. I am sure that I have come across other info like this but can't find it at the moment.

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Well thanks...I had come across all of these sites in my searches. I was hoping that someone here has actually done some of this so I could have a look at ideas directly. I am a visual person and would sure like to see one of these machines up close or pictures or at least talk to someone who has done it. It seems simple enough though. I have an old small hammer mill that I don't use anymore. I will try to convert it somehow into a thresher.