small scale composting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by muggin_girl, Apr 21, 2005.

1. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

Now i could be losing my mind....according to some it has been gone for awhile now :D but I swear I had a friend who lived in an apartment that did composting in a rubbermaid container, on of the small ones. Could I do this with one of the bigger ones? How would I start it? What are the rules? Can I take worms out of the garden, which are pretty tiny right now, or should I go buy some juicy ones? Help me please.....trying to get down to one bag of garbage a month!

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert (YET!) but I've been reading up on this and you can have worms in a rubbermaid container and feed them a pound of garbage a day. There is a book called 'Worms eat my garbage', I haven't read that one, but have another one and just checked out a big one about raising them on a larger scale.

You need drainage, bedding, and a container that is aerated, but lidded to keep out flies. Check out gardenweb.com they have a whole section dedicated to vermicomposting.

Good luck!
    hollym

3. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

The best composting worms are red wiggler worms. These can be found at most bait shops. They do a better job of composting than the average garden earth worm.

4. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

I have a small "garbage disposal" under my kitchen sink. I began with a small Rubbermaid container with a tight-fitting lid. Then I drilled very small holes in the lid and bottom for air and drainage. I've never had drainage because I don't keep it that wet. Then I tore black and white newsprint in to shreds and moistened it until it was just damp, then fluffed it before adding it to the container. I mixed in a cup of soil, then added some vegetable peelings from supper. (I don't put potato peelings in the indoor container) I continue to add vegetable or fruit matter and egg shells or coffee grounds as I have them. I put red wigglers from the bait store in there, and they are just as happy as can be. As a matter of fact, I have some very fat worms and they have readily reproduced and I am the proud owner of many new baby worms that are merrily eating their way through what would otherwise be thrown out. What is being left behind does not smell, but is beautiful, rich looking matter that I am itching to put into my flower bed.
    mamabear

5. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

There are companies that sell "neat" little containers to compost in on the counter top but they are pricey...complete with charcoal filters in the lid, etc. I think Lee Valley Gardening has some (I think that's their name) I Had a "homeade" one in the house once but you do have to watch for those little tiny black gnats or whatever they are. The book Worms eat my Garbage is an excellent source of how to do it. NOw I have a 3 level worm composter down in the basement and it works great. I get a 5 gallon bucket of compost about every couple of months...faster in the summer. I have seen plans to make one in the country side magazine or maybe Organic Gardening... Best wishes

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

The farm near us uses a big rubbermaid container , one for worms and one for compost. It is easy to pick up and shake.