Small pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Nov 4, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm planning to buy a small pickup in the next month or two, and will park my current landshark, possibly turning it into a large planter. (<--- joke :D )

I'd originally planned to go with an ancient Nissan or Toyota truck to doodle around in, but have now decided on getting one which is 1-2-maybe 3 years old (not brand new, IOW) and using it as primary transportation

It needs to get good gas mileage, but have a big enough cab that I can stuff it with large dogs, maybe even a pygmy goat or two, and still be able to steer.

Any recommendations?

2. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier. It is great, gets wonderful gas milage, has plenty of power, and is good in snow. My father has a ford ranger, 1999, it is ok, it just doesn't have the get up and go that my nissan has. Plus you can put more in the bed of mine, both volume and weight wise.
    oh I forgot I have the xtra cab, not the crew cab (crews are 4 door) great room for dogs, or goats :D they can even have their own seats and seat belts, there are two back there that fold up into the sides of the cab when you dont need them. :)
    Mandy

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 1993 Toyota extended cab with over 300,000 miles on it, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a newer version of it if I have to replace it some day. It is big enough to seat 3 comfortably and 4 in a pinch (adults, I mean) with 2 in the front seats and one or 2 in the back. My wife and son say the back seat isn't any worse to travel in than our 1991 Geo Prizm 4 door sedan. We have driven on trips with it with 3 of us in it, sometimes 4, and also hauled large loads home. With a topper on the back it is (barely) okay to sleep in instead of in a tent when we are somewhere for a weekend. (The bed is just 6 feet long so I need to lay at a bit of a diagonal to fit.)
    It gets in the mid 20s for gas mileage when I drive it to work on a daily basis, and around 30mpg on a freeway trip. Not great mileage compared to our 91 Geo Prizm or my son's 84 Honda Civic, but pretty good compared to a bigger or newer truck.
    I have also heard good things about Nissan trucks but have never owned one.

Jim

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Either toyota or nissan , but PULeassssssse buy something with enough power to pull your diesel kubota tractor on a flatbed trailer!!!! :p ..fordy... :eek: :)

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha: :haha:

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, One of the newer 4x4 Nissan Titans. 20 something gas mileage. extended cab hauls you, 2 friends, and the goats, need to pull that diesel kubota tractor on a flatbed trailer, no sweat. Best warranty going. If you get one I'll be jealous, but I'll get over it. :D

Kenneth in NC

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay, soooo I'm thinking Nissan is the way to go.

My favorite car of all time was a 1986 Nissan --- can't remember exactly how many miles I had on it, but my goal was to get it to a million. It still ran like a champ at many hundreds of thousands of miles when I sold it. And I cried when I watched it being driven away by its new owner. :waa:

I loved that car. :waa:

And since the trend on this thread is toward Nissan, I think I'll follow that inclination.

Besides, it looks like a 2-3 year old one will fall into just the right price range for me.

8. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Toyota and Nissan are nice. Think also about 90's era Ford Ranger with the 2.3L 4cyl and 5spd. These held up remarkably well. All depends on condition. Abuse greatly shortens their life.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

You can get a stripped 4 cylinder Nissan King cab with a cd player for ten grand or less new.Family member did just that,sounds like a lot of bang for the buck.
    BooBoo

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm amazed, all foreign trucks? Don't even see any on the road where I live, but then the nearest foreign dealer is 30 miles away, next nearest is maybe 100 miles.

Do you need 4wd or just 2wd? Here in my part of MN, you need 4wd on one vehicle at least....

--->Paul

11. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

We just bought a new Ford Ranger, retiring the old one after 10 years and 200,000 miles. Best little truck ever! The 94 is only a 2wd, 4cyl but hubby used it to death. He hauled shingles, demo cars on a trailer, hay, you name it he hauled it. #1 son beat it as a teen and it even survived that! It's for sale by the way. The new Ranger has an extended cab, 6cyl and still 2wd and hopefully will be as good a truck as the old one.

12. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

a nissan PU is pretty small i'm craped in it with one big dog and a little one beside her.
    but the do run forever... mines up to 230K and still going with no smoke and no leaks.... at 26 MPG!

you need a bigger one, a nissan that size cant haul more than a bedload of firewood.

a mid 70's ford 150, with a beefed up suspention and a 300 inline 6 will do your jobs, with a minimum of mechanical hassels, good reliability, cheap parts supply and on a good day @18mpg.

you could go newer but every year newer add 1000 little electonic fiddledeebits to go haywire and make a finding the problem work for a 45 buck an hour mechanic, or worse a 60 buck an hour dealer technitian.

decide if you want to be able to fix it yourself cheap, or let a tech do it for a lot of money. newer cars are not user freindly.
    but in their defense, if its in good shape/lo miles they will run up to 100k without a breakdown so if you plan on swapping out your truck every few yrs, good.

you may consider an 80'd diesel ford, in the near future your going to be in need of a biofuel convertable engine and an old diesel can just drink several differnt biodiesel fuels without adjustment.

making your own biodiesel is about .75 cents a gal. if you have a ready waste oil supply, which as it gets more common will dry up quick.

pulling a trailer, a nissan pu from the 80s wont do it without stressing the engine out.

if your handy and cheap go old ford, if your busy and have enough to repair it, go newer nissan.

new fords are just a mechanical nightmare.

13. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

dodge dakota with a crew cab , good small pick up , solid bed style good leaf springs
    not a shabby truck all in all

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay, now you all have given me even more to think about.

One of my previous concerns (and reasons for getting an older one) was the computerized stuff and all the doodads. A year or so ago, a friend and I drove some four and a half hours to south of OKC in pouring rain to go to a meeting --- stopped to get coffee before we went to the meeting --- and the computer in the landshark went insane.

:rolleyes:

Some hours and $500 later :rolleyes: , it was fixed but all they could tell me was the computer chip on the key had apparently crashed or something (????) and then something else did something and the engine died. ?

That didn't sit too well with me.

I'd decided to go with a newer one, despite that, because I do need reliable transportation. My plan was to take the landshark in and get it finetuned, then park it and make the PU the main transportation.

I won't be hauling much in it --- maybe the occasional sofa or washing machine or load of wood --- and of course, all the pygmy goats which will be living here once I fix the fence.

Still, the computerized engine thing is a consideration.

:rolleyes: Decisions, decisions!

15. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I like the earlier model Titans better than the latest model. Here’s an Url to see an early model http://trucks.about.com/cs/2004nissantrucks/a/titan_photos.htm

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 4x4 with the 318 V8 my mileage stinks. It does good to get 15 around town and maybe 19 on trips. The 3.9V6 does a better job IMO. I’ve owned a couple of those.

Kenneth in NC

16. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Personally I hate the Nissan high reving engines. Is it a vehicle or a chainsaw? Toyota would be a great choice but I'd probably go with a Dakota, just because I like them, and everyone I talk to luvs theirs!

17. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay, good. I'm even more confused and undecided than I was before.

Gas mileage and reliability are my biggest concerns. It doesn't even have to necessarily be a cool looking truck.

Snow is a non-issue. I'm scared of snow. :) Besides, it doesn't snow very often here and, when it does (which isn't often), I refuse to go outside.

I'm also not exactly a huge, thriving ranching or farming operation here. At most, I will be hauling around a few tiny goats and some chickens. Likely in the cab. :rolleyes: And dogs.

But I want a pickup so I can haul stuff around, but not that much stuff. The wood for the back porch, some sand, bags of peat, maybe the occasional tree.