small colony

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by DayBird, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Would it work with just a single pair? Would the male drive the single female crazy? Would he hurt the babies?

2. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you are asking. I had 4 does together and would bring her to the buck when I wanted breeding. Others have the buck in with the does. I didn't want the does to over produce so I kept them apart.

3. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

First, what is your purpose in keeping the rabbits? Do you intend to use the offspring for meat or to build a larger herd or both? Is the idea of a colony attractive because it provides a more "natural" life for the rabbits or for some other reason?

I ask this because I do see some difficulties with a colony of two. If the buck persists with unwanted attentions, the doe may really damage him. Even if this doesn't happen, there is every chance that she will wind up pregnant with two litters of differing ages at once - bad news.

If you want to give the rabbits a nicer lifestyle than a traditional cage, why not consider a rabbit tractor with adjoiniing suites? You could have a door between them to open when you want them to breed and the rest of the time they could socialize through the wire. Just an idea, but it could solve the problems associated with a colony and still let them have fun nibbling green stuff.

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

When I was a kid my sister and I had a nice HUGE cage with two nest boxs that hung off either end. We ran them togeather never relizing we had 1 male and 1 female.....until she gave birth and he ate the kits. It might be different with different rabbits, but I think we accidently had what you are asking about....a single pair colony. And in our case in did NOT work (and we tried through 3 different breedings. He did it every time). GOOD LUCK.