Small breed of Cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Petsguy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I am looking for a small breed of cattle but not something that is one of the miniature types. Does that make sense? What I want is a dairy breed that stays fairly small. Would like to use her for milking and for a petting zoo. I am located in IL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you couldn't tell, I am new to cattle. : ) I do have several types of sheep, goats, llamas, mini donkeys, chickens, ducks and turkeys, along with dogs and cats. Not looking to spend a fortune, just want a nice cow. I have looked at zebu but not sure that is what I would like. I prefer the look of Jerseys and Brown Swiss. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Take Care,
    Jeff

2. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    A jersey would be a smaller dairy cow. They can vary in size, but if you look, sometimes you can find one that is pretty small (height wise), for a jersey anyway.
    Also, a Dexter is small..but Im not sure how they are on milking (or price tag)...maybe someone else will know.
    Good luck, let us know what you decide!
    Mary F.

3. Lazy J5

Lazy J5 Member

HI Jeff. I have Dexters and my cows are from 40 -44" at the hip and my bulls are 44-47". You do have to shop carefully for a milkcow, as some lines of Dexters are better milkers than others. Prices vary widely, but $800 is probably average for a black, horned (or dehorned) cow. Red and polled Dexters are more expensive. Lasy year I milked one of my Dexters. I let her keep her calf and milked once a day. I got a gallon a day. I have a Jersey Dexter cross and she's 48", a good milker, but not overwhelming.
    Good luck :)

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well theres Low Line angus also.

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Low lines are very short. Ours is dwarfed by the jerseys. SHe really looks like a big pig. However if your talking petting zoo, definately go with a jersey. These girls can get so dang friendly that it is frustrating. They are also easier to locate, generally cost less, than some exotics. Our dutch belt is not much bigger than the jerseys and is very friendly.

6. RdoubleD

RdoubleD Active Member

I would say a lowline is on the minature size of the scale. I have not seen one yet that has an udder you could milk!

Definatly a Dexter or small Jersy would be your best for a small milker. I have a 44 inch Dexter that I milk, if she was any smaller I would have to put her in a goat stanchion just to get the bucket under her to milk. Not to mention the back ache from bending over so low.

7. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

We just paid $950 for a Dexter cow and $350 for a 6 week old calf.
    Red Cow and Black bull. We expect all kinds of colors!

They are great cows.

8. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff
    Go to http://www.dakodan.net/dexters/forum/ There you will find out all sorts of info on Dexter cattle and should be able to find some in your area. They should work out very well for what you have in mind. Quite a few zoo's have them now. Hope this helps.

Ken in Minn

9. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

Thanks to Everyone for their input. I really appreciate it. Now I just have to find someone near me that has either a Dexter or a Jersey available. I live in Peoria, IL. Thanks again for all your help.

Take Care,
    Jeff