Small bleeding growth, really concerned...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Nov 29, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I posted about this thing a few months ago, but now it really has me concerned (and looking for a vet who will do more than just provide CD&T shots for me)

My mutt goat, Coffee, is almost two, and has developed a small, raisin-sized growth on her side. It is flakey and firm, but the slightest nudge on it sets it to bleeding ALOT. If anyone's seen a "sarcoid" on a horse, it's like that.

Lately, whenever she scratches herself with her horns, she seems to hit it and she'll come in that afternoon with bright red blood streaming down her side. She has also started noticing it herself, and spends a lot of time licking the blood away.

I have diligently dabbed it with Iodine every time I see it's "open", but it always grows over with the same crusty/flakey skin until the next time it's bumped.

For the tiny size of this thing, it bleeds ALOT, and a neighbor even stopped on the driveway to point it out to me because the blood spot on her was big enough to be seen from the road! (we're almost 200 yards from the road).

Unless anyone knows what this is, I'm guessing it will have to be removed; I just need to find a vet who will take me seriously AND who knows all the proper doseages for goats (anesthetic, etc).

I hate it when the "large animal vets" only think cattle are worth their time...grrrr...

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd have it tested first off ....for CL

Then the only thing that comes to mind is like a "strawberry" hemangioma? that people get....my daughter has one and doc's are hesitant to remove them as they bleed profusely....

I would certainly be giving her extra iron for bloodbuilding (I use pig paste)

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It doesn't sound like Cl to me at all. With CL you would have a great deal of pus, and a little blood and after it burst once it would heal over and go away for a while. This sounds like something different. I would call around and try to find a vet that knows something about goats and see what they say. I really don't know..... :(

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I was also thinking wart.... those bleed like crazy!!!

Kaza

5. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the ideas, folks! Yes, it does seem suspiciously like a wart... I hope I don't get them on my fingertips now that I -stupidly- didn't "glove-up" to put the Iodine on it!

Now that we're all pretty much in agreement that it's NOT CL (no pus at all), I think my next phone call will be to my EQUINE vet (more expensive than the cattle vet, but probably more willing to 'have a look' at Coffee...)

-Jill

6. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

MPILLOW hit the nail on the head & called it a hemangioma, which it probably is. That's what I'd bet my $$$$ on. It needs to be cauterized by the vet. That's what the docs do for people. They can REALLY bleed profusely,so it needs to be dealt with correctly.

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Just make sure that when you burn it off not to get the acid on the area around it, I had this happen to me and it hurt REALLY bad for a couple of weeks.