Small appliance repair/plumbing question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Deb862, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    We are in need of some repair advice regarding dishwashers. I actually called the local appliance repairman to ask our questions, but he was extremely rude. Only thing he said was, "Maam, are you trying to make an appointment?" Told him that I might in the near future but for right this minute was just looking to get some questions answered and he HUNG UP on me! Boy, I can certainly tell we are living in the city! I understand everyone's out to make a buck but, geesh. When we lived rurally, you could ask just about any local contractor, etc. anything and they would be more than happy to chat with you about the problem, answer your questions, and give you a business card "in case" you needed it in the future or ran into something you needed him/her for. :shrug:

Ok, now that my rant is over...when we bought our 2-family home each unit came with a dishwasher. Both have the same problem it appears. Unit will turn on and run thru cycles but no water comes into the unit. DH replaced the flexible hose, shut-off, etc. and still no water. Having never used or had a dishwasher in either of our lives :), DH was wondering if possibly there is an internal water pump that might be broken or if it might need to be primed. the incoming water is city water and pressurized. Any info or advice would be appreciated :)

2. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but I think you might need to look at the water inlet solenoids. Sounds like they might be the problem, if not at least it's a place to start. Use a process of elimination. Make sure the solenoid has power going to it, if not, then check the timer that supplies power to the solenoid. There should be an electrical schematic somewhere on the machine and just trace the electrical circuit. If the solenoid has power going to it, probably need a new solenoid. Get the part number and you may be able to order online. Also make sure you don't have any restrictions in hoses going to the machine or stoppage at the solenoid entrance. Could be some scale or other junk just stopping the water flow. These are just a couple of ideas to start with. :p

Oh, and I hope you kept the name of the guy that hung up on you. Be sure and tell all your friends or anyone else that will listen. I'm in the svc. business and this isn't the way you treat customers or even future customers.

3. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on dishwasher either, but you may look on the dishwasher end of the flex hose where it screws to the dishwasher. there may be a cone shaped screen that filters the water coming in. They can clog completely up. If one is there, take it out and see if the washer works. If it does, clean the old one out and put it back in till you go spend a buck or two on the new one. Don't keep running it with out one because, if it is clogging up, you need it.

4. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I find it funny that 2 different machines in 2 different units are showing the same problem. Start at the begining and work forward. Is water getting to both machines? Are they plumbed with a shut off valve that might be shut off? Let us know what ya'll find.

5. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

That's what we thought, too, willy. DH has checked for a possible main shutoff but can find none, altho it might be the case that we are just not finding it, too. Both units have shutoffs under the sinks (replaced), both run electrically, just no water coming into units.

Tommorow we will check the supply line as someone suggested above for any clogs or anything, too, just to be sure.

We are hesitant to go out and buy new units only to find there was something we didn't know we could have done first to fix problem. (Only reason we are trying to fix is we are selling property to move to some land; otherwise, i frankly would not care if I had one or not! :) )

6. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

As you follow the water line under the dishwasher you will see that it is actually attached to the solenoid valve. This is a plastic and metal device with two wires coming off of it. Once you turn the power off, remove this valve and (if possible) dissasemble it. You might find that it is loaded with debris and stuck closed. It may a need to be replaced. This is, by far, the most common reason that water either doesn't flow, or doesn't stop flowing.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There is an appliance repair link in the links library near the bottom of these lists. Just enter your make and model, they offer step by step instructions.

8. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys! We will try the above things and report back tommorrow. :)

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i had that solenoid problem with a washing machine before. it was dirty and sticking partly shut.

10. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

I would convince your neighbor to have theirs fixed first. Then you will likely know what the problem was! ;)

11. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

um this has nothing to do with the water coming into the washer. But before you run them anymore.Your supposed to add a little water inside the washer if its could possibly be dry from setting around or what not.Helps lube the pump.

12. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Sorry but I have to agree with the guy. Theres nothing worse than someone calling a business up wanting free services. That includes advice, troubleshooting, ect. Thats all that folks have anymore is service to sell and folks calling up to get teh answers to their problems so they can fix it themselves is quite rude to do too! ANd i live in the country not the city.

13. MELOC

i would give repeat business to a guy willing to help just a little bit. it is kinda like a mechanic charging $50 for an hour of labor for a car that won't start because of a blown igntion fuse.

14. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Lord if i had 1/10th of the business that I have given away from the Oohh your a THIS? my blah does blah..... I would be rich.
    The problem with helping just a bit is that the people don't come back anyway and give you the business. So you just lose out by giving them free services.
    What I will do is charge my min hourly rate, and tell them what the problem is and if they have me fix it then i will only charge actual time and materials.
    IF i have to diagnose it, i get a min 2 hour rate even if it takes me 5 min.

15. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Great attitude, I see you are a real people person. Anytime I have ever had a problem with my wife's car, after I develop an educated guess, I will call the parts counter at the Dodge dealer and run it by them. They give me a quick review of my guess and either recommend that I come down for the part, or take a second look at the car. I always buy my parts there. My daughter once dropped a long necklace into the clothes washer. It travelled through the bottom of the basket and wrapped around the pump impeller. A quick call to the local appliance guy and he said, "It's the pump, it's easy to change if you want to come get the part, or I can come do it". I bought the part from him, and saved a lot of money. Guess who I call for any appliance service I can't handle? If I call anybody and get an attitude like your's, I quickly end the call, and remember to tell anybody that asks to avoid this guy. Great marketing plan. :shrug:

16. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

It's fixed!! :hobbyhors Well, at least 1 is so far. DH took the valve(?) apart and cleaned everything out, etc. and it works! Thanks everyone for your help with this. :) It feels so great to do something yourself.

Wow, this might sound a little naive but I actually have never used or even seen a dishwasher run before in my life. We ran it through a complete cycle and my only thought was, "Wow, do you know how many sink loads of dishes I could have hand-washed in this time?" :) To me, it seems like a huge waste, and we will most likely not use it but I'm sure the ppl we sell to will.

17. frugalville

frugalville Well-Known Member

In both of your examples, you already know what you need..

Dodge Parts counter (Not the service counter)- If you broke off the shifter knob, I'm sure they will say 'you need a shifter knob'.. If you say, 'my brakes are sqeaking and my car pulls to the right' they will say, 'what parts do you want, or do you want me to transfer you to service ?'

Appliance guy thing...You probably already knew you needed a pump before you called, and you ran it by the guy to confirm your educated guess. He said 'I've got the part, it costs bla,blah, blah..' or I can bring it and install it for you for blah, blah, blah...

Now if you called up your appliance guy and said 'My dishwasher is not working, and then had to go through a flowchart of..is you water on, do you have a shutoff, is it on, do you have power to the unit. Did you set the cycle correctly, is the door latch closed, is there a little water in there or none at all, was it working recently, what was the last thing you did to it before if quit working, is it leaking anything, is it grinding or humming ????

You can be a jack of all trades and ask a question, but to diagnose your problem over the phone is pushing it was too far. It takes alot of wisdom and experience to diagnose even the simplest things. This knowledge was normally aquired over lenghty training, reading or apprenticeship.
    If youwant to head to your local bigbox hardware store and drill the $8.00 'expert'.. go at it. But to call up a parts place and ask about service questions, or worse a service repair place (that does not sell parts, but buys them from the local appliance parts store).. is asking something for nothing. If you are to cheap to pay someone for their talents, and drill them with 50 questions so you can save a buck, you are not giving them the respect they deserve.

I'm sure whatever job you do, you wouldn't like someone coming around, asking a bunch of questions on how to do something, having them tell you for free, and then have them open a business with your free knowledge, and charge cheaper rates on top of that.

Do doctors diagnose you for free over the telephone ?
    Would a lawyer give you free legal advise over the phone ?
    Would an investment planner give you free tips over the phone ?
    Then why do you expect a repairman to do the same?

There is no excuse to bug a professional for free stuff. With the internet, there are 20 different DIY flowcharts about diagnosing your broken dishwasher.

If you expect to be paid for the 'fruits of your labor', then reap what you sew. That local repair guy might not stay around if everybody wants a freebee.

No I am not a repairman, nor have I played one on TV.

18. MELOC

i like to have a bit more faith in people. i too would give my future purchase business to someone willing to help. for the highly trained professional, this is indeed a good long term business strategy. if you are in it for a quick buck, then charge a minimum of two hours no matter what happens. attitudes like that are what make capitalism look really bad. i never forget a snake that bites nor a hand that feeds. i suppose i am an exception to the rule. i am sure there are many folks who would not appreciate good service and reward in kind. you can build walls or bridges.

doctors practice medicine...a bad example. one wrong diagnosis over the phone could kill someone and health problems are far more complex than dishwashers.

lawyers are are all trained in the art of lying. when money is involved, they take way too big a piece of the pie

investment planners often steer you to special interest investments.

i would hope repairmen could have better standards than two out of the three above.

duet. 27:18 :)

19. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

To clarify, in my situation, I never asked the person I called to "diagnose" anything. I just called and wanted to ask a specific question or 2 about dishwashers and parts in general. I realize now that I could have gotten that information here or on the web easier and without as much hassle.

I agree with some of what has been said above; however, just because someone has been told what to do in a situation (i.e., fixing something) does not necessarily mean that person is ABLE to do the job or do it correctly. You can find out how to fix something in a variety of ways, including asking someone who KNOWS, without "taking over their business," etc.

20. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

I've been in the A/C business for 36 yrs. Some years back I had a call from a woman that kept me on the phone for about 30 minutes. She was asking questions and I was trying to answer as best I could, and sometimes that can be difficult when you have to get technical. I still answered the best I could and at the end of the conversation the lady says," I'm a judge and trying a case where an A/C burned some peoples house down and I wanted to get a feel for what I might be hearing in the trial." I just laughed and told her to remember how helpful I was if I ever came before her.
    I don't have a problem trying to help people because sometimes I can use a little help myself.
    I did have a lady once asked me to go to her house, diagnose the problem and tell her husband how to fix it and "not to charge her". I didn't go that far and she thought I was really trying to rip them off.
    Sometimes you just gotta laugh. :)