small apples

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Peg, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me any clues on how to get bigger apples? My fuji tree, which I planted about 4 years ago, always gives me small apples. This last season I picked off blossoms with the idea that the fruit left would get larger, but no luck.

Please help, oh wise ones. :worship:

Peg

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

A little more age on the tree should help. The trees that were small when we moved here six years ago started producing bigger apples two summers ago. This past summer they were beautiful. I think the trees are 12-13 years old.

3. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Speaking of apples. We had lived here for about 20 yrs and there was just an open field when we built here, no trees. We planted everything thats here except about 10 yrs ago my DH was wandering around and found a small apple tree growing on the property line. It had small apples that tasted like a cross between a johnathan and something else. Ive always wondered how it got planted there and what kind of apples they are. This year some were bigger but most are very small. About the size of a silver dollar. We pick them and freeze the slices for pie. Ive always called it Gods tree. Its a nice little tree. Any Ideas what it could be? suz

4. Browsercat

Browsercat Well-Known Member

Don't pick blossoms, thin fruit. Check here for more: http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00062.asp; click on thinning apples link or picture.

Also, check to see that your apple branches aren't all watersprouts (vertical). Horizontal branches make apples more than vertical ones.

5. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

6. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Wow, great site! Just what I needed - thanks!
    Peg