Slugs for snacks..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Smelt, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Hi All...

Catchy title...huh? :)

I was playing with our kids by their little wading pool last night after dinner. Along the edge of their pool were about 10 or 15 slugs-the largest was 1.25 inces long. These are the garden variety slugs, common all over new England.

I picked 'em up (yuck) in a show of Daddy brogaddacio and fed them to the chickens. Gross I know, but the chickens seemed to like them.

Question 1: Can I get any sort of caustic burn, appendage fall-off or weird disease from touching the slimey little things?

Question 2: Is it OK to feed slugs to poultry?

Question 3: What about as a poor man's escargot? Hee hee....joke!
    :haha:

Thanks for your slimy thoughts!

Smelt

2. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

They do that. They like snails too, if you get them started right. Roll the snails around a bit, so the shells are cracked but they still look like snails. The young poultry will get the idea over a week or two, and after that they'll figure out how to winkle out :p (look that one up) the meat from the shells themselves.
    All of the above - but it doesn't start to show for about two days. :eek: No, really, if there was anything wrong with slime your nose would have fallen off years ago. Actually, snails and slugs can serve as a host for roundworms or flukes. Rare though. I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably better off with the poultry removing the hosts from the scene.
    See above.
    Hey, it's a convenience food. You don't have to take them out of the packaging. :no: Actually, I guess it would work - in fact I've read about it, but I've never tried it myself. Still, they should be more or less like a transistorised beche-de-mer, right?
    You're welcome. Have a nice day now. :D

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Smelt, I would soak them in salt water for awhile, then try saute'ing in garlic butter..... (let us know how they come out...........lol)

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. Line up the kids, get a stopwatch and have a SLUG CHUG contest!

6. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Granted you were joking but slugs should NOT be eaten raw (can't imagine it personally, I'm known for having a cast iron stomach and you couldn't get me to do that) Here is a story about a man who was unfortunate enough to have chosen raw slugs as his dinner.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3204299.stm

As for the original questions...

Question 1: No burns, the only side effect of handling slugs are sliming fingers.

Question 2: Chickens should eat as many creapy crawly things as possible. Good for them, good for your garden.

Question 3: Actually they are fine to eat cooked, but do "purge" them in salted water first. I've actually never tried them but snails, now that is a favorite of mine and my kids. mmmmm

J

7. Try sprinkling salt on them. They'll melt right in your mouth! (-;

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Put salt on em. they'll just disolve. I'd have to be pretty darn hungry to try to eat them.

9. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Raw? I don't think they should be eaten...PERIOD!!!!