slug problem

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by huntress4203, May 1, 2006.

1. huntress4203

huntress4203 alias mullinaxclan

I have some nice lettuce coming up in my panters ,But I got SLUGS....What can I do to kill them? Can I use salt in the planters???? :shrug:

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I don't think that I'd use salt in the planters. How many planters do you have? Are they very big?

You could hand pick the slugs. Yeah, I know they're gross, but try to think of them as escargot without the shells. ;)

You could also try beer bait. Put out a jar lid with stale beer in it. The slugs will climb in there and drown. Won't be as grisly or gratifying as salt, but it won't hurt your soil, either.

It can't be a coincidence that "ugh" and "slug" rhyme...

Pony!

3. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

Gardens alive carries a natural iron phosphate bait that works. I use it around my lettuce and strawberries.

4. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

yep, I do the "Get them drunk" thing. works great!
    I just put a saucer of beer level w/ the soil.. the little buggers climb in and die... at least they die happy! lol

have also been told that slugs will not cross a chalk line, never tried it tho.

5. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

how many slugs do you have? beer works, if you have only a few, but I think it is a waste of good beer. it is the yeast that attracts them and you get the same result dissolving a bit of yeast in warm water, add some sugar and use that like beer. cheaper.
    I'd shy away from the salt. When we lived in Germany we were inundated with slugs. at dusk when they started their nights work I would put a spaghetti pot of water on to boil, don gloves and get a bucket and pick them up. I literally picked pounds and pounds of them off my plants. when I got through I would scald them with the boiling water. I hope they died quickly. you can plant plants that they like especially, like Marigolds and Dahlias and lure them away from your food plants. you can also get some ducks. We had a pet duck once that ate them like candy. the neighbors asked me if my little girl could come over to their garden with her duck to eat their slugs. too.

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I went through this last year, I tryed it all. But what you need to do is use Diamacious Earth. Sprinkle it on a regular basis. The rain will wreck its effectiveness, But it works other wise. It is accually best if you put it straight on what they are eating. They die in a few minutes after eating it. I have put out bowls of oat meal mixed with Diamacious Earth for them. Kicks butt on them.

7. patience

patience Well-Known Member

Since your in Wa I know these are not little slugs. We have slugs the size of bratwurst here :)

I've done the beer trap in a (trick or treat) bucket. saucer won't do. Got a few that way. I'm trying crushed eggshells around the plants. They don't like going across the sharp texture

how about some ducks?

good luck

8. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Diatomaceous earth, crushed eggshells, or plain old playground sand. Since you're using containers, you might also try covering the soil with sandpaper.

9. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

For the yeast-&-sugar beer substitute (or just the beer, if you're so inclined), put it in a small-mouth canning jar and lay the jar on its side. Wiggle it into the soil so the opening is at ground level. The slugs have easy access, rain or watering won't dilute your mixture, and the dog can't get at it to drink it.

10. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I've been told wood ash line around the garden will keep them out. Seen a copper mesh used too. Beer Bait is the only thing we've tried.

11. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Diatomaceous earth does work well. Thin copper strips around the planters would work as well.