Slug Guns

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by NJ Rich, Nov 24, 2006.

1. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I have been invited to go hunting next season in an area where the only legal shot gun is one that shoots slugs. I will find out more info concerning the regulations before next season.

I have a 3" Remington Model 1100 shot gun. I have looked at barrels for it that are designed to use with scopes. At the cost of a barrel I can buy a used shot gun made to shoot slugs.

My main questions are these:

What slug guns do you like and why?

If you use a scoped gun how is it outfitted?
    Mount; scope and power

What slugs seem to be the most accurate?

What is the longest shot you made with a slug?

2. jross

jross swamper

I use a Mossberg 500 Crown Grade in 20 ga. Presently I am using Remington Buckhammer 2/ 3/4 inch slugs. I have used Remington Coppersolids, Lightfields, Federal Sabots, and Winchester Partition Gold. While all the slugs were accurate, all but the Buckhammers appeared to tumble occasionally judging by the hole in the target and where the sabots where found. Finding the sabot lying in front of the target at 50 yards and an irregular shaped hole in the target indicates incomplete seperation, unless one is using impact discarding sabots. Normally sabots should seperate at around 25 yards. I have a Simmons 3x9x40 scope on the Mossberg mounted on Weaver rings. When I replace the scope, I will put on a 2x7x32 because 9 power is not needed where I hunt, and 2 power is more useful. That large objective lens is great for low light in the swamp. My longest shot was 75 yards when I killed a six point using a Coppersolid. One point to keep in mind is the trigger pull on a shotgun which is heavy. One has to work at it to squeeze until the gun fires, kind of like a surprise release with a bow. Punch it and it doesn't matter what slug you use, accuracy will suffer. You will have to try various slugs because of the manufacturing tolerances of slug guns. Even two identical guns will not print the same using identical ammo. The price of a slug barrel for the 1100 will cover the cost of a new Mosserg slug gun with a cantilevered barrel, which is the best way to go..

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Best Gun I had was a 20ga. Cut the choke out.Made a heck of Rabbit and Quail Gun too.

big rockpile

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

This is the Mr here, my wife usually posts. I bought her a used H & R Ultra Slug Gun in 20 guage when I thought she was going to hunt. It is dead accurate with lightfields to 125 yards. It has a Simmons 1.5 to 5 on it which will be changed to a Leupold when it goes bad. I have a Winchester Model 1300 which was given to me when they still used Walnut. I had the Slug Barrel adapted for Screw in chokes and it is now a great turkey gun also. It shoots Activ slugs into a group smaller then a coffee cup at 75 yards. Most of my shots on deer are less then 30 yards. I like to get as close as I can. If I think I will have to shoot any distance I take the Thompson Contender or the Smoke pole.

If I was a wealthy man I would have a Tarhunt Slug gun 20 guage mountain hunter. What a sweet gun.

R

5. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I appreciate the info I received. Are there any other opinions? Any other slug shotguns? Other slug ammo?

Does anyone use Remington Slug Guns with scopes? What scopes/slugs? Drop all of the viewers a line. Thanks, NJ Rich

6. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

I have a Mossberg 695 that I use with Federal Truball 2 3/4". Iron sights on it (no way to mount a scope) but it gives great groups out to about 80 yds.

7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

in my hunting party we have
    my 11oo with mod barrel using winchester 12 ga slugs
    a tradions with choke tubes
    browning gold trap with choke tubes
    they just put in the imp cylender
    ithica mod 37 4 of them in 20 and 12 with sluch barrels full and poly choke
    870 's with and without slug barrels
    winchester 1300 with tubes
    stevens bolt 20
    with the poly choke i turn it to the slug setting
    a mix of fedral winchester and remingtion slugs
    they all seem to be about a pie plate at 100 yards for groups
    all are fine deer guns and yes that 40 year old stevens bolt has taken lot of deer

so what ever you have try a few rounds with whatever 2.50 dollar a box slugs you can get rem winchester or fedral
    i like winchester 15 for 6.99 deal

8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

My favorite slug gun is my old Winchester 97. I love the cowboy feel of the gun and it shoots well. Strap on rear sight aligned with the front bead. I can keep it on a paper plate at 100 yards all day long.

Federal ammo works best for me. Worse is Remington. Foster type slugs because the barrel is smooth. 7/8 oz instead of the 1 oz slugs because they travel flatter.

I've got a scoped Mossberg 500, and father-in-law has a scoped something or other. Shotgun scopes weren't worth a darn because they didn't gather enough light to be usefull at dusk or dawn. Cheap scopes didn't work worth a darn because they self destructed or couldn't hold position. Since the shooting is close you don't need or want much magnification. I've usually found myself down in the 2x to 4x range for shotguns and blackpowder both. Nothing more frustrating than having too much magnification and being unable to see the deer for the individual hairs.

Longest kill shot I've made was about 100 yards. Father-in-law was close to 200 yards. He's a heck of a lot better shot than I am. He's quite able to lob things in a long arc at a running target and hit them. I couldn't do that. My targets have to stand still.

9. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I use a remington 870 in 12 gauge with a smoothbore slug barrel. I use 1-ounce rifled slugs and it does very well, but I wouldn't take shots much longer than 50 yards. That is likely as much to do with my own marksmanship as the gun itself.

I've been reading a lot about using a 20-gauge with a rifled barrel and sabots and I might pick up a new gun just to see if all the fuss is true. From what I'm gathering, They are supposed to be effective at much longer range than a typical slug gun. Downside seems to be that the ammo is much more expensive. I pay a few bucks for a box of 12 guage slugs. The sabots are triple that cost.

Anyone hunting with a 20-gauge gun and sabots? I'd as soon save the money for the new gun if it isn't worth it.

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I've tried it. Kicked so hard I quickly gave up the idea. Talk about fear of recoil and flinching in anticipation of the shot! That gun may have been very accurate, but I couldn't shoot it accurately because of the kick.

My big ole Winchester does weigh a ton, but it also doesn't kick badly because of that weight. Something to keep in mind with those light weight 20 gauge guns.

11. jross

jross swamper

Mossberg 20 using Rem Buckhammers. I have yet to take a deer with the Buckhammers, but have had problems with Coppersolids and Lightfields AT CLOSE range. Up to 70 yards both dropped em. I have had apparent instances of Lightfields and Coppersolids tumbling due to possible sabot not seperating, on the range, but I cannot prove it, only the irregular shaped bullet hole being an indication.. 20 gauge is lighter and does kick some, but not as bad a a 12 ga. The sloppy trigger is something to get used to. My buddy uses an Encore with a 20 ga barrel and a Mossberg 12 ga and the difference in triggers is something else.
    I had a one antlered wye buck in the crosshairs Monday evening, but let him pass. Neighbor's friend got it yesterday morning.

12. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

I've got an H&R 12 gauge (rifled barrel) with a 1.5 - 4.5X scope on it. Shoots about 4" groups at 100yds. It's the 'standard' weight gun, so it kicks a bit, but I like it, and I've killed more than a few deer with it. I shoot the Winchester BRI sabots (at about $2 a pop).
    I bought an H&R 20 gauge (rifled barrel, 'standard' weight) not too long ago that I haven't gotten around to messing with yet. It's got those 'shoot thru' type rings on it that just put the scope way too high to use right. I'm planning on getting it set up for my SO to use.

13. jross

jross swamper

One thing to consider for anyone using a scope on a standard shotgun stock and that is to install a cheek piece on the comb to quickly put your eye behind the ocular lens of the scope. My Mossberg 500 has interchangeable cheek pieces, one for the scope and one for the smoothbore. Also remember to change the cheek piece or do like I did when I went grouse hunting and put the gun up to the shoulder to make sure nothing was binding and I could not see the bead. I had forgotten to put the lower cheek piece on the comb.

14. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Also interested in this topic. How would an old 12ga. bolt action " Turkey Gun'. 36' barrell work with good slugs?? I don't have ANY extra money to buy a new gun.

15. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

In Minnesota you're allowed to use a muzzle loader in "slug only" zones. Just an idea that you might want to consider if the same is allowed in your state.

16. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

if it has choke tube i would put in the improved cylinder

but other wise i think long barreled smoothbores work well with slugs i have been using slugs in my 30 inch barrel for 14 years my brother does the same
    i have a mod barrel he has choke tubes

but this year while at the club sight in i learned that they sometimes they get better results for accuracy with the mod tube in

so if it doesn't hold nice groups try the mod tube if you have one

i used a bolt 16 one year it was ok
    my cusin uses a old stevens bolt 20 ga i think it has a mod of full choke

the only caution i have ever heard was not to put slugs through a poly choke unless turned to the slug setting

i have a polly choke that works fine set to slug i never wanted to try it set to anything else

17. jross

jross swamper

The year after I sold my bolt action 12 gauge, New Jersey legalized rifled slugs. All I would have had to do was to install adjustable sights on it. I killed a huge buck in Pa with it. But my little 20 ga pump makes up for the loss of the bolt.

18. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

Same thing in WI. I had neither a muzzleloader nor a slug barrel for my 870, until a few days ago...I came across an Ithaca rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount at a local gun shop for only $139! Just need a cheap scope and a variety of slugs to try out and I should be good just in case I find some good private land to hunt close to home (shotgun county).

Normally, I prefer to hunt in rifle areas, mainly cuz I like my rifles! :rolleyes: Most of my past success though has been in shotgun areas. I suppose I'll still need to get a muzzleloader too, since there is a separate season for it and here in WI, a person who doesn't successfully fill a buck tag can still shoot a buck during that season.

-Dave

19. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

How big are the slugs where you live? Good mercy, around here the ducks eat them or we sprinkle a little salt on them, never had call to shoot any. What do you do with them once you got them?

20. Nathan

Nathan nathan

I hunt with A remington 870 with the slug barrel that came in the combo,and used the3" coppersolids.I took the deer at 30 yards uphill with one shot,while I hunt very brushy areas and this an average range for me,I couldnt advise on open areas as I dont hunt anything but heavy vegetation from a treestand,and rarely get a long shot.the coppersolids work well for my situations