Sludging a Well

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bayesoft, Jul 29, 2006.

1. bayesoft

bayesoft Member

Anyone have any experience sludging their own well?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I am curious as to what you are referencing and I do not understand the question. Certainly you do not want to put sludge in the well. Could you mean slugging and if so explain more your intent please.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Are you calling the excess sand that accumulates in the bottom of the well bore as "Sludging" . Normally , when a new well is drilled , the driller will pump the well continuously say for 24 hours to remove most of the accumulated sand in the well . After a certain amount of time it should clean Up . If , you are referring too some other kind of sludge then you will need the services of an experienced well man to evaluate your problem . fordy... :)

4. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

If you are talking about sand,thats easy to fix. Take the drop pipe out of the casing. Go rent a large air compressor, take the airline and feed it down into the casing untill you are 10-15 ft into the water. Just crank it up and let it run. It will shoot water,sand,mud,or what ever is in there out of the top for 20 ft! I would let it run for several hours to create a "basin" at the bottom of the well. The larger the basin then the longer it will last.
    If you have mud then chances are your casing either has a hole in it or its not down to the first rock. That will probably take a new well to fix.Ive had to do this a couple of times in the 20 yrs since the well was drilled. They didnt put my casing down deep enough either. I put a screen on it and it takes most of the sand and dirt out.

Good luck!