Slowing down on cleaning rabbits.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Fire-Man, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I am loosing it I think----I wonder if age is slowing me down. I cleaned 9 adult rabbits today---all over a year old----just been to busy to get to them. At my normal pace It took me a little over a hour to dress them and put in a cooler whole.(the Wife looks them over and cuts them up). I am thinking to myself----Man you are out of shape---LOL.

2. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

Have you been having this dreary, rainy weather? I blame my lack of oomph on that.

Fire-Man likes this.

3. Fire-Man

I guess 9 adults in a little over a hour is not to bad----just longer than normal. LOL I was sick with a sore throat, stuffy sinus a couple days earlier----that might have been the problem. I might decide to do a few more tomorrow----we will see.

4. Kathy04

Kathy04 Member

I agree with Fire-Man. Cleaning 9 rabbits. That's a great work.

5. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Well-Known Member

Adults? I think nine adult rabbits in an hour is stellar. I have trouble with the adult ones. Every cut is so much more effort.

Fire-Man likes this.
  6. rickpaul

rickpaul Well-Known Member

..How do they taste compared to a wild one Fireman ??

7. Fire-Man

Well I have not eaten wild rabbit in 35+ years and only one time---I remember it tasting good. My raised rabbits are sooooo Gooooood. If I cook de-boned rabbit in rice(rabbit bog) and carry it to a family get together and tell everyone(50 to 70 people) whats in the pot----it will be the first pot empty. They all Love it. We eat most all of our rabbit meat in this "bog" way. Except for making some rabbit sausage when we get enough rabbits cleaned to make it and have the time. Rabbit link sausage is the best tasting sausage I have ever eaten---better than fresh pork, better than deer. Its good.

Attached Files:

ChocolateMouse likes this.
  8. ChocolateMouse

I got to make rabbit sausage last year. It was super tasty. :D I wanna try it again next time I get a glut of rabbits.

Fire-Man likes this.
  9. Ellendra

Ellendra Well-Known Member

I'll have to remember that. I've been thinking of trying my hand at sausage making, since it's darn near impossible to find any that doesn't have pepper in it. Good to know rabbit makes a good sausage meat :)

10. Fire-Man

Just for info I do add about 10 to 15% pork fat by weight.

11. ChocolateMouse

I also added pork. Can't get just fat here of all things, only belly meat. So we used that. About 1 part pork to 3 parts rabbit.

12. Fire-Man

Yea some people will cut up some boston butt to mix with it---I am sure that's Good. I have been getting my fat from grocery stores that actually cut meat----not the big stores Like Wal-Marts. Then I saved a lot off some of the hogs I process. If you are doing 1 to 3 you are doing 25%---I do mine a little leaner if just using fat but that's probably a good mix using pork.

13. ChocolateMouse

I was going to those places too, a HUGE local market with a butcher in the basement. It's a big 'ol historical landmark. Something about how they don't sell the pork fat to the public unless there's special circumstances, or maybe they were out of what they allocated for selling to the public every time I was going in. Idk. It's on the other side of town so I don't go there often enough.

Fire-Man likes this.
  14. longhairboy

longhairboy Well-Known Member

Any chances you'd share your rabbit sausage recipe? I have a grinder and sausage stuffer, just need some rabbits (shouldn't be hard to breed another litter) and a recipe!

15. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I would love the recipe as well if you are willing to share.

16. Fire-Man

I use a factory seasoning----Legg's Old Plantation Seasoning/Pork Sausage Seasoning (link style) plus we dry and ground our own peppers---mainly banana, bell, red cayenne and Jalapeno----that I do not have the amounts---we mix some of each together---taste--if we want a little more Kick, we add a little more of this or that. Then mix some of this pepper with the meat, seasoning and about 15% pork fat. Just the Legg's seasoning with the meat is good----adding a little pepper makes it better.

I tried for a long time to mix my own seasoning---it was good but I could not get it as good as this Legg's. Buying so many different seasonings to try and mix was expensive---I got some deer sausage from a local processing plant and it was Good---I asked a Guy that worked there privately if he knew how they mixed the seasoning---he said he sure does---exactly---this is the seasoning they use. I have used it with the deer sausage adding our pepper many times so when I did my first batch of rabbit I tried it----That was some good sausage----the best.