Slow down and save gas!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cheryl in SD, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

My dh decided to try an experiement with his semi. He slowed down. He lowered his speed to 62 max. and began watching to see what would happen

Before the slow down he was averaging 5.52 miles per gallon. He has been running slower since March. We figured it yesterday. Our slow down average is 6.6274 miles per gallon! This last trip he has averagd 7.59 mpg.

The last trip, he also made some fuel saving modifications to his truck, and we will wait to give it more miles to see if that additional mile sticks around.

Ok, let's put this in dollars and cents....

120,000 miles a year at 5.52 mpg (averaging $3.00 a gallon) = $65.217 a year
    120,000 miles a year at 6.6274 mpg (ave. $3.00 a gallon) = $54,319 a year

Savings for going 62 instead of 72 is $10,897! :D

It pays to slow down!

(For reference purposes the national average for fuel is 2.88 per gallon, we do a lot of running west where it is a little higher $3.03 in UT, 3.094 in NV right now).

2. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Geez! And people complain about SUV's.

3. Cheryl in SD

"In 1982 the average was 4mpg.
    Currently, in 2006 the average is 6mpg.
    Sometimes, depending on the terrain traveled most frequently, eg; mountains or plains, mpg varies drastically.
    The highest average I have witnessed is 9mpg.
    The lowest I have witnesses is 1.75mpg.
    A military tank with the same diesel engine can average 2 gallons per mile. That is not a typo. "

I found this today. The company my dh works for gives bonuses for over 5.5, which is their average.

Yep, it's bad!

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that is a good policy and reward system.

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

When he drives at 62 mph it takes him 1,935.48 hours to drive 120,000 miles.

When he drives at 72 mph it takes him 1,666.67 hours to drive 120,000 miles.

So he is working 268.81 extra hours to save $10,897 in gas. In essence, he's getting "paid" $40.54 per hour for those extra hours he's putting in.

Not bad! :dance:

6. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing on our Dodge 3/4 ton with a diesel engine. If we cruise at 65 mph, the truck gets 21 mpg or so, if we go up to 70, it drops to 18 mpg, at 75 it drops to a bit under 16.

I think anytime you are driving for long periods with the rpm over the peak torque you end up using more fuel.

7. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Has he switched out all his driveline fluids for synthetics? Look at my 5th and 6th links on www.bestoilaround.com.

While bigger gains are to be had with the Amsoil, I've seen similar results with synthetic Rotella/Delvac and Mobil and Red Line driveline synthetics.

The catch in all the studies or articles I've seen is the need for a full conversion of the driveline, not just the engine. But the gains are almost always notable.

8. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

In addition, each vehicle will display a different optimal cruise speed. It will depend wholly on the gearing of the tranny, rear end and tire height, so what is optimal on one vehicle might not be for the next.

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

that is so cool! I am really happy that you discovered that.

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yep,truckers out here sure have slowed down.

Booboo

11. Cheryl in SD

He has been doing some changing of fluids, I am not sure what. :D I do know he called the dealer and asked them the optimum driving speed and he had the set the computer to where they said was ideal too. It has sure worked!

12. Ramblin Wreck

I wonder how many gallons we could save nation wide each day if every vehicle slowed down, even just 5-10 mph? I wonder how many lives we might save by doing that too.

13. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I have found the same thing in my minivan I use for work to carry sales materials. At 70, I get 21 mpg, and at 62, it goes up to 26 mpg.

With that being said, I would hate to see a law change in speed limits. I am driving slower to save money, but come Friday and I want to get home to the family that is 8 hrs away, I am glad I have the choice to crank up the speed and get home.

14. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Yep. Most people still don't see how my '68 Roadrunner got 21 mpg driving 70 mph but only managed 17mpg at 55 mph. I hated the national 55 speed limit. Slower doesn't always save. My present car gets about 31 to 32 at 75 mph (the legal speed on Wy interstate) and about 34 to 35 at 65 mph so I've been driving slower.

15. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

huh?

How many SUV's carry 80,000 lbs of stuff for you?

16. Ramblin Wreck

Some cars have gauges/displays that show you how much MPG you are getting while on the road. That could be a helpful reminder/tool if you're trying to optimize fuel consumption.

17. Cheryl in SD

DH's semi has mpg gauge, it is close but not completely accurate. He can get a rough idea that way, but does a manual check to know for sure.

18. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Louisiana.....tried to pass a bill to RAISE the speed limit to 75 on the interstate. Aren't we trying to "CONSERVE" fuel??????? Would someone crack the senators on the head?

I too have slowed down on the interstate, driving 65 instead of 75. Yeah it takes longer to get there, and (blah blah blah) time is money, but can't you take a little time to save some money? Isn't a penny saved a penny earned?

I've also started "coasting" a lot more. The idea is GREAT in city traffic. YOU KNOW the light 1/2 mile ahead is going to turn red so why not let off 1/2 mile before it and let the car "coast to the light, instead of gassing it all the way to the light? I drive a '05 Monte Carlo (company car) and report my mileage. Since last September, I've been getting 34 mpg on the highway and between 25 and 27 in town. Also, make sure the tires are properly inflated. You can lose 2-4 mpg just be being 5 psi under on air.

19. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I heard of such a study done here in New Brunswick on the effects of slowing down trucks from 65mph to 55mph. There would also be great savings in tires as well as fuel. Also there would be less wear and tear on the roads. Surprisingly, even if you passed all the savings on to the government, and not just the road maintenance, the government would still lose net revenue because they would not be making as much money off the fuel tax. Thus the high speed limits.

Now if there was ever a reason to slow down, that is it. :)

20. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

In Nebraska when we slow down, drive more fuel efficient vehicles, economize our trips we are penalized by taxes. Just announced was another increase in our gas tax because we aren't buying enough gas now to support the NE Dept of Roads budget!

On July 1 we get a tax increase as our reward for saving fuel!