Slow 6 to 8 week goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hannah pollard, May 14, 2018.

1. Hannah pollard

Hannah pollard New Member

have a 6 to 8 week goat that was very sick. Swollen eye droopy ears and extremely thin. Looked normal one day and the next day looked like this. We took him to the vet. He was dehydrated and she said wouldn’t see out of that eye again. We gave him iv of fluids and then gave him syringe full of milk. He is doing SO much better. But now he won’t suck the bottle of milk and sticks his entire snout in the water to flick his head up and let water slide down is throat and I’m pulling wads of grass out of his throat. He looks a bit “slow” keeps his mouth open constantly while the other kids his same age don’t do this.... these are our pets and is like to give the guy a fighting chance. Is this normal?? He has gotten so much better I just don’t know when to stop feeding him with a syringe...rhiygt

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

When did this start and how long has he been this way? Was any other treatment done? Have you been tubing milk this entire time?

While I cannot tell without an exam, it could be neurological or injury in origin. If he cannot appropriately prehend and chew food, and cannot nurse, then he will either need intensive care for an extended period or his entire life. He will also likely be at extreme risk for impaction or maldigestion as he cannot regurgitate and chew his cud, and choking or regurgitation/aspiration pneumonia (all of which are life threatening) if he cannot swallow or chew well.

if he is holding his mouth open, is it to breathe? If so, I would be worried that he already aspirated or has what is commonly called a 'tubing' injury - damage to trachea, esophagus, or larynx that can cause extreme damage to these areas and cause dysfunction.

I would have him re-assessed by your veterinarian.

nehimama likes this.

3. Hannah pollard

We found him not walking 2 weeks ago. Before that he was nursing on his mom just fine. I have appointment with vet tomorrow... She seems to think he just needs another steroid shot?? He can swallow liquids if you hold the bottle up right and squeeze it. I see his throat swallowing. If I hold his mouth closed he breathes through his nose... but when I let go it pops open. I’ve read a lots of forums and lots of people talking about baking soda and other stuff. Should I be doing anything else?

Vet said two weeks ago that we would know if he would make it or not in a day or two... he has come along way...

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Baking soda is harmless if you wanted to give a small amount in his bottle. But it probably won't do much for him unless he's scouring.

Did you take his temperature?

nehimama likes this.
  5. Hannah pollard

Vet came out and said it’s neurological... we are bottle feeding him now with a larger nipple he is really trying to get it. he gave him 3 different shots. It was a new vet that I liked more and was much more helpful. Said we would know if it would clear up in the next week or 2. I forget what the name of it it called it. He seems to continue and improve and is responsive when we come into the yard... I am hopeful.

nehimama likes this.