Sloping Backs?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Xandras_Zoo, May 30, 2005.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Well, I am getting oh so close to getting my goats (I have decided to start with a pair of alpine doelings), and I have yet another question.
    I have noticed some does have a slanting back, and I don't care for the look of it. Is this just how they are posed, or is their back actually sloped? If it is, how do I go about choosing doelings that will be straight-backed when they're grown?

2. Xandras_Zoo

Ok, I feel stupid doing this (bumping it up that is), but I'm just seeing if someone who hadn't seen it has an answer for me...

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I read it, but I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Are you talking about how they are higher at the withers than the butt? That is actually a desirable trait you look for.

Click on this link and scroll down the page. See those beautiful does. Gorgeous. Wishing you luck on getting your first girls.

http://sweetdreamsalpines.com/bucks.html

4. Xandras_Zoo

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I'm talking abou how the withers are higher then the rump. It always looked to me sort of hyena-ish, or like they have really weak hind legs.

The does on the page you sent are very gorgeous and I don't mind the back in them at all. Nissa is particularly pretty. So is Gryfalcon's Grand-Dam.

http://capriella.com/AlpineTalk/coloring.html <-- the chamoisee has that back I don't like. The ones in your pictures don't seem to be that way... they seem to be more normal? To me that chamoisee isn't a very pretty goat. Now, the Cou Clair one is my favorite goat picture.

Does the back depend on the dam and sire? Should I pick a kid with a dam and sire I like?

5. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

From a non-pro viewpoint that chamoisee doe is posed with her back legs hyperextended too far back which makes her shoulders look higher than her rump. I have a registered chamoisee doe in which her sway back did not appear until she was one year old. How disappointing as she is very loving and eager to please. I may have "missed" it (the sway back) but she was purchased without looking at the parents in person. After seeing her picture on the internet, I knew wanted her. If you are buying registered stock, that doesn't mean the animals will be perfect so you need to be careful. I am not an expert but when you are spending $$$ it does pay to do some research first.

Nappy