Slippey Slidey Sofa

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChickenFryChato, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ChickenFryChato

ChickenFryChato Lone Star State of Mind

This may sound like a silly question, but oh well. I have wood floors throughout my house (new recently built), and I have my sofa and loveseat in the middle of my living room (not up against a wall). Every time a person goes to sit down, the sofa or love seat slides back. I'm constantly having to move the sofa back to its place. What do you all use to keep your furniture in place to keep from sliding? Placing up against a wall is not an option by the way.

2. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Try some type of rubber under the feet, either the no slip rubber mats for long narrow feet, or little puck looking ones for small feet. Your hardware store man sould be able to help you out.

3. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

We had a similar problem and I cut pieces from a non-slip rug pad to place under each leg of the sofa. There is no need to glue the pieces to the legs, the weight of the sofa will keep it in place.

4. ChickenFryChato

I thought about that. Did it work well?

5. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

It worked for us. I bought the better quality non-slip rug backing instead of that from the dollar store.

6. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

just becareful with that no stick stuff on your wood floor, I have had that before on my dresser ( under a tv) and it ended up ( from heat, cold, and pressure of weight) leaving " scuff" marks the shape of the holes of the slip stuff. just a word of caution. Wouldnt want to ruin a wood floor.

I had to Buff out my dresser

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

How about a large area rug with no slip backing?

8. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We have a large sectional and the long end is not against a wall. We had the same problem and for us there is no where else we can put it in our
    living Rm. So, upon moving into our new home, hubby put a doorstop in the floor right behind the foot of the couch. Yes, you can see it, but it's clean
    and efficient. If we ever took it out, we could put filler in the little hole. It
    has held up great to even the kids when they are on the couch. People have commented that it was a good idea. I like it better than seeing things on the floor that may leave a bigger mark/stain if removed in years and years/vs. one little dot.

9. ChickenFryChato

What's funny is I thought about that as soon as I sent the post. Now, if I only had a rug.... :doh: