sleeping shelf

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LONGRANGER, Jul 9, 2006.

1. LONGRANGER

LONGRANGER Member

I have seven Angora goats as pets and for their fiber. Their coats get alot of poop and straw stuck in them so I am thinking of building a sleeping shelf. Has that proven helpfull for anyone else?

Also need to get some idea for ideal hight and surface area to accomadate this number of goat. All imput would be much appreciated.

Mike B

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

the thing about animals with wool or hair like this is you can do all you want to try and keep them clean but they are GOING to get dirty, sleeping shelfs May or May not be used, and more than likely they will be used to climb on but not much else,
    your going to have to clean the Mohair anyway, even useing the coat things doesnt keep them clean, it just winds up keeping the heat and such in more and makeing them more uncomfortable,

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

This may be a dumb question, but can you blanket them like they do fiber sheep?

4. LONGRANGER

LONGRANGER Member

I could blanket them but I like seeing their beautifull coats and worry about them getting too hot in summer which is real long here in southern California.

Mike B

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

just let well enough be, your going to have to send the hair off to be processed and they clean it anyway, or if your doing home spinning you would have to clean it your self anyway, why stress the goats out in the heat with blankets
    you can try the shelf but the percentage of time they would be on the shelp wont keep them that clean

6. LONGRANGER

LONGRANGER Member

Good input. Sounds like I would be better off building my wethers and gals a nice playground than a sleeping platform. No way will I burden them with an uncomfortable cover.

PS Which proccesers do the best job on raw fleeces.
    Mike B