Sleeping Bag Liners

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Mar 23, 2005.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Anyone use one? I have a good sleeping bag, but heading out next weekend where it will most likely be in the 30's and thought I might add one to my gear. I usually take a high thread count sheet or flannel sheet, depending on the weather. Wondered if I needed to sew 'em up. I have read that a flannel liner can add 12 degrees, a 300 thread count liner can add about 7.

So is it worth it, or would good clothing choices be just as good? I'm thinking silk/wool longjohns.

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd do both--extra clothes and flannel liner. BTW I always see nice flannel sheets at the Goodwill store. Sometimes in the package. I guess a lot of folks get these as gifts, but don't like them.

3. greggholmes

greggholmes Member

grab one of thoes emergency mylar blankets. they don't take up any space and can help alot.I'd put one under a blanket. it will stop moisture which is the biggest problem to staying warm. they are noisy and crinkle alot.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

They make polar fleece ones that are actual liners for $10 at walmart.

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Wife makes fleece liners for ours. Camping last fall when it hit 10 degrees. Stayed very warm.

Do not wear any daytime clothing to bed when camping in cooler weather. Any moisture will drain your heat faster than you could guess

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

If you take a canvas piece a little larger than twice as wide as your sleeping bag, and the same length. You won't believe how much warmer you will stay as well as dry. shadowwalker

7. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a silk sleeping bag liner to etend my sleeping bag range about 12degrees. Change into Fresh, DRY longjohns before bed. Wear the silk UNDER the woolies for amazing waemth. Don't forget silk sock liners with wool slippers or bedsox, and a warm cap.
    We (my Boy Scout Troop) camped 2 weeks in in Northwest Ontarios back woods in one of the coldest wettest junes in their recorded history. I had a 55 degree sleeping bag, silk sleeping bag liner, and the silk longjohns (didn't bring th woolies, it was summer) Used the sox and cap- on the 2 nights it got under 40 also greased well with Vaseline to hold in heat...same theory as the Inuit greasing with blubber or a Native American with Bear fat...I did sleep well...

8. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I've heard fleece is the way to go (f/scouts). They have $5 fleece blankets that you could sew up and I think they'd be great.

9. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

I have several these Walmart fleece bags. They work great as a liner and are great by themselves in warmer months. They are the only bag that I carry when backpacking in warm weather. Great value for the price.

10. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

I use a silk liner. Bought it online from Dreamsack. I love the fact that it's so lightweight and packs down so small: warmth without bulk. Very easy to wash by hand, and line dries quickly. Besides keeping me warm, it saves washing the sleeping bag so often. Can't say enough how much I love that thing. For short camping trips where space, weight, or washing isn't an issue, I'd imagine that a fleece or flannel would work nicely too.

11. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, my sister was at Big Lots last night and boutght me a $10 Coleman microfleece liner. It seems great. So that is what I am adding to my packing list, since I am car camping this time (state park) and won't be carrying it.

Thanks for all the advice.