Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were up really late last night celebrating DH's 40th birthday -- had a party here, lots of fun. We slept till noon. Kids too. :) Hey, you only turn 40 once, right?

But then DH decided he was going to do nothing but goof off all day. Well, that's fine. He deserves it. Fell asleep on the couch, then decided to go back to bed. Slept all afternoon. I woke him up for dinner. He got up and played with the dogs for a little while, then went back to bed. He's there now.

He's done this a few times lately, usually when he's feeling down or mad about something. He gets mad, his solution is to just sleep. Well, I guess there are worse ways to deal with anger! But aside from turning 40, which doesn't seem to bug him that much (hard to know for sure, though) he doesn't have much to be down about, and I'm pretty sure he's not mad about anything.

Now, I'm not begrudging him the sleep -- not at all. If he needs it, he should rest. I just don't understand it. I don't think I've ever slept all day unless I was sick. And no, he didn't "tie one on" last night either, I think he had 3 beers spaced out over several hours, so it's not a hangover either.

Is this normal? Do people ordinarily do this? I don't think I could sleep all day even if I wanted to and nobody was home.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Lets see, I came in at 1 am last night, went to sleep at about 2, woke up at 10, fed the animals, ate lunch and crashed from noon until about 8, it's 11 and I'm headed back to sleep soon. So I guess I will have been awake 5 of the past 24 hours come 2.

I also have had a busy week and my body just needs to catch up on sleep. Perhaps he feels the same way. I know in May I was busy studying for finals all week, I ended up sleeping almost 36 hours straight.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Maybe turning 40 got him a bit depressed? My DH was worse than me when he turned 30 and he is NOT looking forward to 40.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Has he been missing sleep lately? I know when I do,I sometimes have to do some catching up, I think I read that it's called a "sleep dept", that if you miss sleep it builds up & you finally have to pay it off. Maybe he's just a bit down about turning 40? Sometimes I think men are worse about aging than women, especially when I see a middle aged man tooling around in a "middle -age crisis car",desperatly trying to look young & sexy ! :p
I slept most of the day today,too, but then I was up 'till 6AM w/ a newborn,then DH took over & made me shower & go to bed. Was after 2 PM when I finally woke up.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
edayna said:
We were up really late last night celebrating DH's 40th birthday -- had a party here, lots of fun. We slept till noon. Kids too. :) Hey, you only turn 40 once, right?

But then DH decided he was going to do nothing but goof off all day. Well, that's fine. He deserves it. Fell asleep on the couch, then decided to go back to bed. Slept all afternoon. I woke him up for dinner. He got up and played with the dogs for a little while, then went back to bed. He's there now.

He's done this a few times lately, usually when he's feeling down or mad about something. He gets mad, his solution is to just sleep. Well, I guess there are worse ways to deal with anger! But aside from turning 40, which doesn't seem to bug him that much (hard to know for sure, though) he doesn't have much to be down about, and I'm pretty sure he's not mad about anything.

Now, I'm not begrudging him the sleep -- not at all. If he needs it, he should rest. I just don't understand it. I don't think I've ever slept all day unless I was sick. And no, he didn't "tie one on" last night either, I think he had 3 beers spaced out over several hours, so it's not a hangover either.

Is this normal? Do people ordinarily do this? I don't think I could sleep all day even if I wanted to and nobody was home.
I have a rather nasty sleep disorder Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS) and back in the day before dh I would sleep ALL DAY two or three times a week. I cannot tell you the jobs I have lost because of this. With DSPS you just simply CANNOT wake up for anything. It's a sucky thing to have.

So to answer your question.. Yep!

donsgal

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Some people just need more sleep than others. I know myself, if there's been a big change in my normal routine (such as staying up late or working longer hours) I need alot of sleep to catch up and feel better. Hubby may just be dog tired.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My 31 yr old DH will do this on occasion, and usually when he's built up a bit of a deficit in the sleep account. He normally needs about 10 hours a night, but is ok with 8. Any less than that, and he starts to build up a deficit, and will eventually need a catch up day.

As for sleeping when angry, I can't do that. I do, however, need extra sleep once a month (read between the lines), and I sleep more when I'm bored or "depressed".

6,637 Posts
edayna said:

I do this if Im down because me and melisa are arguing. Im not talking about a little dissagreement about what ot have to for dinner. Im talking to big arguement where we dont talk for a week.

I only do it once or twice per year

·
Registered
742 Posts
My husband does this too. Drives me nuts. But apparently when men are bothered about something they like to zone out or sleep. Us ladies like to talk, talk, talk about it. My husband and I laugh about it. We can be having a serious discussion and I will catch him starting to close his eyes; I joke with him that he has marriage narcolepsy (sp).

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Something to take into consideration, it is July, your husband is a mail carrier, he did work his route 5 days last week right? Maybe he's body just needs to recover from the abuse?

Or you could just voice your concerns to him, even if he doesn't answer in a manner you hope for you have done your job of being the supportive caring wife :)

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Even if I'm horribly sick I can't sleep that much. Guys do seem to be better at it though. Hard to say if this is normal or not. Mentally review the week and see how hard it was and/or how much sleep he got. See if it repeats itself anytime soon. Sleeping a lot can be a sign of depression but I don't think one day is enough to count it as a problem.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Everyone needs different sleep amounts. Sleep is a huge luxury to me. My DH thinks sleep is a huge waste of time. He gets mad if he accidentally falls asleep watching tv. He would never take a nap on purpose. I would rather have a nap than almost anything.

If it was my birthday, and if my sweet spouse didn't mind, I would snooze away- Just recharge my 40 year old batteries.

I wouldn't worry unless it is a pattern that persists.

Sweet dreams!!

Kimberly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts