Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about at my wits end. I haven't slept well in a few years. It has gotten to the point that I'm lucky to get 1-2 hours of sleep each night. I have tried all the OTC meds, been on 5 prescriptions that didn't do anything except make me halucinate, and several natural remedies. Nothing has helped. I am so exhausted all the time, which makes me grouchy. I hate being grouchy. I want to have the energy to do some of the things my kids want to do. I try, but just wear out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I take Valerian, which works for me, but I know people it does not affect- you have to try it for yourself. Another thing we take is a stress/calming tea at night which includes chamomile, passion flower, oatstraw, lemon balm, and St Johns Wort. We make it pretty strong, really helps here. Hops works too-

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Ask your doctor to refer you to a sleep clinic. Once you get there, you will be required to spend a night in hospital/clinic attached to all sorts of equipment via a plethora of wiring. In that way, a true diagnosis of your sleep disorder can be made. You may then be asked to consider treated by CPAP, in which case you'll need a second over-night stay in hospital using CPAP. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds, actually! I was quite surprised, myself.

Info on CPAP here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure

It is the standard (and very successful) treatment for assorted sleep disorders (of which there are about 80, so I'm told). Sleep Apnea, for instance, is more common than is generally recognised.

And, speaking from experience, it takes quite a while to get used to it, but it's worth persevering.

If you don't want to go that road (but it's worthwhile finding out what your problem is, don't you think? Sleep deprivation can lead to very serious health problems like heart attack, stroke etc) you will need to consider life-style changes. These might include weight loss (if overweight); an exercise regime; dietary changes, including elimination of caffeine, salt, colourings, flavourings etc - which usually means NO junk food; implementation of a strict sleep routine etc.

A sleep clinic can help with all these things.

The real aim is to find the root cause of the problem, and not just to treat some of the more obvious symptoms.

One of the most dangerous results of sleep deprivation is one that very few people have ever considered. When seriously fatigued, it's highly likely that people will have 'nano-sleeps' while driving a vehicle or operating machinery - they aren't at all aware of it, but they go to sleep for perhaps just a few seconds - quite enough time to become involved in an accident as a result. This not only puts the driver/operator at risk, it puts other people's lives in danger as well.

A sleeping disorder is a serious medical condition which well justifies professional intervention. If you've already tried multiple alternatives, a proper investigation is definitely required, don't you think?

More on sleep disorders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_disorder

·
Formerly Kathleen in AR
1,050 Posts
I have found that Alteril works fairly well for me. However, you should NOT order it from the Internet or the TV. It is way over-priced and they are a bit shady in their business practices.

You can find it at Walmart and Walgreens. I think they also have it on Amazon (not positive though).

It is a combination of L-Tryptophan, Valerian, Melatonin and a few other herbs. I take two every night and I am sleeping much better--thank goodness! :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
An accupunturist gave me "Suan Zao Ren" to take and it works really good for me. I order it online thru Chinese Herbs Direct.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
The thing that worked the best for me was Benydril, the allergy med. I worry about taking it too often though, so I dont. I slept real good on that....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Scullcap tincture is widely available and safe enough for children. I don't have a chronic sleep problem but use it if i wake up and can't go back to sleep. I think the sleep clinic might be a good option for you though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Warm alcohol.

A cup of tea with a shot of whatever tastes good for you (try Yukon Jack, it's sweet and strong) about 30 minutes before you lie down.

It works for me.

If it doesn't work for you, double the dose.
LOL

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't drink, or keep alcohol in the house. Personal choice - I have a strong tendency to addiction in my family and don't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anything you find that actually will help you sleep well could become an addiction.
But I have alcoholics in my family so I understand your concern.

Maybe try some nyquil?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have tried nyquil, it helps me fall asleep, but I don't stay asleep and have a terrible headache in the morning.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
A back rub by my hubby usually helps but he fell asleep before I did tonight so I am up writing this message :(
Linda

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A back rub by my hubby usually helps but he fell asleep before I did tonight so I am up writing this message :(
Linda
LOL, a head scratching from dh puts me to sleep. But I don't usually have too much trouble falling alseep, it's sleeping past 4-5 am that I have trouble with. If I wake up after 6 hours, I usually can't go back to sleep.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts