slautering question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jessandcody, Jul 26, 2004.

1. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

well I'm fast aproching butcher time for my first litter and I was wondering if any one has some tips on slautering techniques that are humain. I want to do the killing with little trama to the animal (strong personal beliefs). if anyone can help, I would love the input!!!

thank you,
    Cody

2. Bill

Bill New Member

I did the bop method for years. I now use a pelet gun between the ears and have had no problem with blood clotting or rabbits showing pain, best of luck

3. lasgsd

lasgsd Well-Known Member

Here's how I do it. I place the bun on the ground, on it's stomach with the head stretched out a bit in front of it's front legs. I take a large stick or pipe (I use and old broomstick) and place that across the back of their neck. I put my right foot on one end of the stick, right next to the bunnies head, grab the hind legs, put my left foot on the stick and pull the hind legs straight up. This breaks the neck very quickly. Fast and painless.

4. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

.22 to the brain. No bruising on the rabbit. There is no predeath
    stress to the rabbit. They are quietly moved away from the rabbitry
    and placed in a cage on the ground. They are usually munching on
    grass when shot.

I think as the welfare of farmed animals comes more in the eye of
    the public (thanks to the ARA's) that we may be forced to look closely
    at our methods of dispatch to insure that we are abiding by humane
    and accepted methods.

This is not intended to imply that anyone here is presently using an inhumane
    method. :no:

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Though I've never killed rabbits, I'd say that the 22. to the head seems by far the nicest for the rabbit. Just imagine dying the way you plan on killing the rabbits, they'll be feeling about the same way you would. Also, you don't have to look at the bunny if you don't want to. You can just put them in a loosely-woven sack and feel the ears, and then inbetween them (I've heard this is where you shoot them. If you live in the city and can't fire a gun, then I'd opt for smacking them between the ears with an empty beer bottle, but you'd have to be willing to hit them hard... real hard, otherwise all you'd do is cause them pain. Just give them a carrot or some lettuce, or even some lawn clippings, and they'll die before they know what hit them, happy as could be.
    And I'm also not implying any other method is cruel, that's just my opinion on the least stressful methods.

6. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

lasgsd has it. use a stick over the neck and pull up, no pain, very quick, and you dont have to look at them