Slaughtering

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ron_in_WA, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Ron_in_WA

Ron_in_WA Guest

how would you go about killing a goat or sheep. preferably without a gun. is there a book u recommend?

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Two alternate methods to a gun are cutting the throat. This takes an extremely sharp knife. The other is to stun with a 20 oz or larger hammer. This takes really good aim. I prefer a gun.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Save the poor thing the suffering if you mess up with an alternative and just use a .22 behind the ear shooting across to the opposite nostril.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've done dozens with a knife. Use a very stiff, very sharp, narrow bladed boning knife. Make sure the knife comes to a fine sharp point. Stradle the beast and grasp it by the chin and pull it upward, exposing the throat. Now this part is very important to kill quickly and humanely, With the blade facing away from you, thrust it through the throat, right along the front of the spinal column, and push is away from you, severing the corotid arterie and jugular vein. If you try to cut inward from the outside, you will botch the job and cause unneeded suffering.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

For someone who has never done it before I would recommend using a .22 as described above. It can be done with a knife and done very quickly and humanely but I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie. Once you get a little more familiar with the anatomy and the actual slaughter process then go ahead and use the knife if you prefer.

6. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

I haven't done it, I have just watched my brother, the butcher. He does mostly as Tinknal descrbed, but immeaditly after making the cut, he takes an ear in the knife hand and gives a real quick twist, breaking the neck.

7. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Some think the Jewish butchering methods to be best.. however everyone has an opinion.. here is some info on that topic
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Good news! The Iowa Agriculture Department Secretary has inspected the kosher meat plant where the animal activists filmed and made accusations based on ignorance and affirmed that shechita (kosher slaughter) was humane and more humane than how chickens were slaughtered by her family when she was a child. She witnessed both chickens and cattle slaughtered at the kosher plant. The gist of the article, well worth reading, is that yes, the animals are rendered unconscious almost instantly. See article---

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=73580

The article also has a link to an article on Shechita (kosher slaughter) FAQ's — Frequently Asked Questions here (can be downloaded all on this single web page)---

http://www.shechitauk.org/faqs.php

That article explains that yes, the kosher slaughter method is painless because it causes blood supply to the brain to cease immediately, causing the animal to immediately lapse into unconsciousness. The article also makes reference to "BSE" — Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis — "Mad Cow Disease" — and points out that shooting a metal bolt into the animal's brain (which can hardly be painless or cause instant unconsiousness) as a common non-kosher slaughter method, can drive brain tissue down into the body, thus greatly increasing the danger that people could, G-d forbid, eat tissues carrying this disease and greatly increase the risk of acquiring the disease, G-d forbid.

In the above two articles I am still not seeing a clear explanation of the use of the razor sharp knife to avoid pain. Again, I will reiterate my understanding of this, that such an incision, with no nick on the blade to allow the blade to catch or move awkwardly, makes the cut similar to a fine paper cut, which if occurring in the right way produces no initial pain because it is an extremely fine cut. In my opinion, this ought to be emphasized.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incase you want to know ... got this off a friends forum
    KC~