slaughtering hogs w/o a gun?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by farmy, Jan 5, 2004.

1. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

Has anyone slaughtered hogs without using a gun? How? We don't have a gun right now and it's about that time for our biggest gilt...

2. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We have a post in the middle of the pen. Throw a loop around a foot, snub the rope around the post, knock the hog down, tie it's other feet up. Sit on the hog and stick it. It will die in a few minutes. It also bleeds out better than it does when shot first.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

Snubbin' a hog is not an easy way to deal with a hog!

I'd invest in a gun, it will be your friend.

Alternately, toss a bit of feed out, imagine an X between the ears and eyes and whack it with a good sized hammer. Don't be gentle...you are out to kill this hog. Often this is all it'll take, but you still have to bleed it. Take the properly prepared (very sharp) knife and cut a long slice as deep as you can, from ear to ear (we're talkin' both carotid arteries and the windpipe. After you've done it once or twice, you won't need to go so deep). Pick up a foreleg and pump it to pump all the blood you can out of said hog.

Hammer, .22 or 30.06...pretty much the same thing...properly applied.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put your car in the pig pen. Jack it up with a bumper jack. Go get your butcher knife.. When you get back, the hog will have knocked the car off the jack, right on top of his squealing self. Cut his throat, and drive the car out of the pen. By the time you get the car to the house the hog will be pretty well skinned.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

uncle Will in In. I tried that but got to the house Hog was between the Tire and Fender :eek: ,had to get Tina to pull the Tire off so I could get the Hog out :rolleyes: . :haha:

big rockpile

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Unk, I wanna see pictures! :haha: :haha: :haha:

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Shucks Rocky, If you would have just jacked that wheel up and blocked the other tires, you could have ground the hog up into whole hog sausage while sitting in the car listening to the radio as Tina caught the sausage as it flew out the back of the car into a wash tub. Kinda long sentence but I couldn't find a place to stop. I think I would have had someone hold a hickory board against the tire really tight so we could have smoked sausage.
    Cowgirl, We took pictures, but that tire was so greasy, we couldn't get the car up the hill to get the film developed.
    You might want to gut the hog when you cut his throat. Flavor you know.

8. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

This ain't nothing but crazy. Anyone with good common brains knows that this will never work. All you will have is pork burger.

If you want to have good sauage you have to squeze in some good spices to have the right kind of tasting country sauage.

Know what I mean ?

9. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Hammer.

16 oz claw, or ballpein for a smaller pig (as in cochon de lait), or a 8lb sledge.

Never seen the animal Daddy couldn't kill with sledge - including full grown beeves.

10. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Back of an axe is traditional. I'd say a good heavy single-sledge (that's one-handed) would be safer, but if you hit the hog lengthways (length of the back of the axe going up-and-down between the eyes) that animal ain't going anywhere's in a hurry. Tie the hog in a race so it can't move its head up and down or to-and-fro or forward and back, then HIT IT HARD, FAIR BETWEEN THE EYES. You can do this either from in front, or standing over the animal. It will go down, then cut the throat and bleed it out.

That said, I'd still prefer a bullet - easier to hit exactly right, hard. Easier to repeat if necessary. I'd also prefer it because it doesn't make you dependent on cutting the throat to kill the animal. I prefer that because it gives you the ability to be picky about what you cut. It's better if you can avoid cutting the oesophagus, as that increases the risk of having stomach contents run back onto the carcase while slaughtering.

Please understand I'm not recommending this - the axe edge makes me nervous - too many possibilities for severe accident. However, it does work - it has worked a lot - and a lot of people who haven't had anything better have decided it's the best thing they had. Me, I'd find something better.