Slaughtering a Bore 400lbs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by VApigLover, Nov 1, 2006.

1. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

About To Slaughter A 400 Lb Bore Hog This Weekend. Our Process Is To Shoot In Forehead To Temporarily Knockout, Then Cut Throat, At What Point Do You Cut The Balls . In Sequence With The Bleeding Phase Or Once Hung. We Are Trying To Rid Of The Bore Tanted Flavor/smell. Appreciate Advise. Va Piglover :)

2. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, you have to do that well in advance of slaughter, not at the time of slaughter. But then, we always castrate ours at the weaner phase.

3. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

at 7 to 14 days missed it :) too late now. The Boar should be fine please let us know about the pork.

4. VApigLover

yes you are correct to castrate when young, but due to circumstances beyond our control, we purchased this bore to breed with another sow but sow or bore was sterile, thus never producing no piglets so we slaughtered sow last weekend and now must slaughter this bore, we will probably do most of him in sausage, should be ok, we have done it before.

5. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

I know a couple posters here never Castrate and like you said the old Boy never got the the job done. I would bet if I as a betting man the meat will be great.

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I hope the shot to the head will be a permanent knockout rather than a temporary one and I would stick it rather than cut it's throat. Forget the balls, they can come out when you gut him.

I am one those posters than never castrate and at 400lbs he should be good eating. Would be a shame to turn him into sausage and in your shoes, wouldn't be wasting the meat. I can see some good bacon, ham, pickled pork, medallion steak, schnitzel........

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

For a boar that large, we castrate at least 2 weeks before butchering. The meat tastes so much better to us than not castrating.

8. VApigLover

How does one restrain a 400 lb bore and castrate 2 weeks before butchering?
    vapigfarmer

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

With great difficulty I should imagine :shrug: :) - and probably not worth the stress to either you or the boar. In this country it is illegal to castrate a boar of that age and size without veterinary supervision.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

10. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Ronney, I have never heard of this. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying it's news to me! LOL!

All of my fellow farmers and ranchers castrate with out supervision. :shrug:

We castrate large boars just like large colts or calves. My DH can do it so quick, I don't even need to get into the pen to help. Also.......we use "stop bleed" powder so they do not bleed.

Edited to add...........I just noticed you live in New Zealand. Duh!! :doh:

11. VApigLover

Well, we sucessfully castrated our Boar, we did that just after slaughtering the fellow. Well the scariest part or actually the most offensive was during the gutting process, the Urine was the most foul oder I've encountered in a long time. I thought that if the meat had that flavor it would all go in the trash! Fortunately this was not the case...
    Traditional Tenderloin was served to the crew, excellent flavor and no one seemed to smell much of anything during cooking.
    After cooling for a day, we took a few peices from the bacon, mostly fat, which is what is supposed to have the taint (if it exists) and proceded to cook the stuff in a pan to see if we could smell a taint....This was rather humorous event that proved we could not smell anything other than a strong Pork flavor (good stuff), and that our desire to smell a taint, which is wierd, could not be produced.
    Proper processing must be the key, or it could be we slaughtered the Boar on the proper phase of the moon (a belief our mother-in-law has) that accounts for this boar tasting so well. Or maybe we just didn't let the urine touch the meat? Thank goodness.
    We made our normal cuts, including sausage, everything tastes great!

12. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Which is the proper phase of the moon she speaks of?

13. VApigLover

My guess the proper moon phase must be two days shy of full! We slaughtered last Friday the 3rd, calendar shows a full on the 5th.

Mother-in-law has always beleived boar meat is no good (run you out of the house), so this might be the excuse for it actually tasting good.......This shows how this subject has always been on both sides of the street, some like it, some don't, when those who don't like it think its good, must be a reason for it. In this case its the moon! :)

One other thing she mentions is that her father, long time ago went by the moon to slaughter boars but she can't remember off hand but insists its in the Farmers Almanac. Guess I'll have to go through it again and see if I can find a reference.

14. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

I think that the protein % in feed can be a great influence on boar taint, was your boar above or below 16% we stay at 18-20% for max production.

15. VApigLover

I agree the feed base has a great deal to do with flavor, possibly taint. We fed this guy a 16% corn/soybean ration we buy from the Amish (spelling?) and we also supplement some corn with his daily feed (sometimes slops). Even with this he was really lean, bacon looks awsome.

16. jasperoo

jasperoo Member

According to our Swine Science teacher in college years ago.....only 50% of the population can smell "boar odor". I wish I was one of those that couldn't smell it. We have a farrow-to-finish operation, so boar odor is prevalent down in the barn. Personally, we will only kill a boar if it is under 100 pounds, and then we have a small BBQ.