Slaughter/Butcher Prices

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChiliPalmer, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

I'm having a heck of a time finding this info, and I've searched HT and googled Kansas livestock reports. I plan to stock my freezers this year by buying it on the hoof (auction or on the farm) and having it taken to the custom kill-and-cut up in the next county.

What's the usual price per pound (live weight or hanging weight) of beef? Pork?

What does your butcher generally charge per pound for cutting? For curing and smoking pork?

What's the going kill fee for beef in your area?

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

around here it is a 10 dollor kill fee then its 35 cents a pound hanging weight

anything you want cured is a few bucks more

3. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

In IN, my folks paid roughly $1 a pound for the animal and processing combined.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Chili
    At auction in northern Indiana last week
    Choice beef steers were .89 cents (live)
    Choice beef heifers were .87 cents
    lower grades on both the above were as much as 8 cents less per pound.

Holstien steers went from .70 to .80 cents lb.

Fat hogs topped at $50.50 per cwt (250 lb)

5. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Central Illinois

Beef kill fee $30
    Beef processing $.50 per pound of hanging weight extra $.10 for anything ground or tenderized

Lamb $50 killed and wrapped

I've never done a hog

Kathie

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I just bought a beef from a guy. He wanted half, and I wanted half. He paid me $40 to kill, skin and gut it, and $.80 hanging weight to cut and wrap it.

7. lonewolfparker

lonewolfparker Active Member

where in kansas are you the prices vary it seems here lately at different barns. depending on where you are at butcher prices can vary alot also let me know where you are and i will try to help out i am in the topeka area but wander around to different auctions and have friends all over the state that take stock to butchers

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

How do you find a place that does slaughtering and butchering? I dont even know what to look for in the phone book or internet.

9. ChiliPalmer

Lonewolfparker,
    I'm in the SW - Grant county, outside of Ulysses. We just moved here so any info you could give would be a help.

10. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Goats here are 10 kill fee, .35 a pound rail weight, and they cut it, grind it any way you want it. We had 1/2 a steer done our half was about 450 lbs cost us around 120.00 I think that's about .27 a lb. Lots cheaper to do it yourself would have been alot cheaper to do it ourselves with the goats, but the cow is something that is much more involved with hanging it etc...and I think it is worth it.

11. ChiliPalmer

Start with "Butchers" or "Custom Meat Lockers" and let your fingers do the walking. I found mine by driving by the place and seeing they advertised as a "custom cut-and-wrap" - meaning you bring them big hunk o' meat, they return to you neatly sliced and wrapped steaks and roasts to order. Some places will only handle dressed sides, others will do everything; you drop off a live animal, they call you to come pick up your winter's butcher meat already flash-frozen a couple of weeks later. Depending on your needs, there's a few questions to ask.

Do they kill and butcher, or will they accept only dressed meat?

Is the ground guaranteed to be from your animal only? (Some places will grind all in one large batch the meat intended for grinding, then seperate it back out into the pounds each animal's owner was supposed to get. If you're particular about getting the grass-fed organic burger for which you bought that steer, this could be an issue.)

How long do they age the meat?

If you want the bones, organs or offal you almost always have to ask, otherwise the butcher keeps these. You can ask them to crack the bones for you also.

12. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Right now we're at .80 to .88 for steer, slightly more if it's a beef breed (on the hoof). Processing at the best place around is .36 a lb hanging weight (60% hoof weight). You give 'em a cut list, they pick up the animal and you go pick up white-papered meat.

So, 1,400 lb steer is $1,200 or so, plus $350 processing. $1,505 for around 580 lbs of meat (finished weight), cut and wrapped the way you like it. They give you back the "parts" if you want 'em. So, $2.50 - $2.60 a lb finished and in the freezer... but for ALL CUTS.

R