slate rocks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used slate rocks for floors. If so, how thick,size and what consistancy were used? Do you have any trouble with the slate rocks breaking do to being brittle?I am building a house. I would like some unique ideas for flooring.
    tnborn

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

tn
    I love the look of slate, but a marble installer told me it was a bit problematic as a floor. Real slate has quite a variation in thicknesses which can make installation difficult and the resulting floor could have ridges that you will snag on forever. It is also brittle. I ended up getting a porcelain tile with a slate pattern. It looks great, and people have asked if it is slate.

Do you know anything about soil cement. It is cheap if you have close to the right soil on site, and you can make it look like tile. It is basically dirt, a little portland cement, and linseed oil.

Gary

3. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

This isn't slate, but is unique, and beautiful.
    Take hardwood beams (4x6) and slice them like a loaf of bread, half inch thick.
    Use different types of wood, Maple, Oak, Walnut, etc.
    Use to tile a floor, sand and buff. Add a light cabinet oil finish. Long lasting and easy to fix any scratches.

4. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.
    tnborn

5. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I installed some slate for a neighbor a year ago in his bathroom...and he's a BIG guy...no problems yet... he tried to cheat me on wages, so I didn't do his living room and kitchen, so he figured he'd do it himself... Now He has some problems in those rooms...

I plan on laying three or four hundred feet in my new home next year...I love it...each install is unique...it is unlevel...it has character...if you want a so so floor, put down the fake slate ceramic tile... in my book, go for the gusto... :clap: