Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skyline Drive has to be one of the most beautiful drives in the country. My Mom and I drove it yesterday and it is amazing. Much of the time you are literally driving right on the edge of the mountains. Such dramatic and beautiful views of the Shenandoah Valley.

Here are a few views of the Shenandoah Valley from Skyline Drive.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
that' is some of the prettiest country in the 49 states I've traveled. It's the kind that speaks to my soul.

The other kinds of USA beauty are nice, but trees, and rolling hills get me everytime.

Angie

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. The pictures don't do it justice. I loved seeing all the small farms all over the valley floor. There were dozens of them. I want to make that drive again in the spring when all the flowers are blooming. Parts of the road are lined with rhododendrons and azaleas. It must be mind bogglingly beautiful when they're in bloom.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I once had the great fortune of driving the Skyline Drive in the Fall. I'll never forget it. Your photos bring back fond memories. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
We had the great fortune to drive it in the spring. So beautiful then as well. My family settled in the New Market area so we stood in the valley of the Shenandoah. Land they settled in 1726 of the thrill. Zirkle and McCarty

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had the great fortune to drive it in the spring. So beautiful then as well. My family settled in the New Market area so we stood in the valley of the Shenandoah. Land they settled in 1726 of the thrill. Zirkle and McCarty
It must be amazing in the spring.

That's a lot of history. Do you still have family in the area? It's one of the prettiest areas I've seen.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
I live in the valley and I just love this time of year. It's just amazing with all the colors.

Yep I am surrounded by mountains.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wonderful! We lived in Harrisonburg for a year. Some days when it would get so hot, we would drive up and just be amazed at the difference in temperature. We would just sit at Raven's Roost and play hookey from work for a while (owned our own business), enjoying the cool breeze and the awesome view. While not every memory of that year is very pleasant, I miss living there sometimes....

Jessie

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
there is something about the mountains that is just so peaceful and calming. I think they "call" to many of us. I love going to the mountains....even if we're jsut driving thru and can't stop. I roll the windows down and just breathe. The air is just fresher there and somehow just gives you a sense of peace. I always call the mountains God's country because they are so beautiful He has to enjoy looking at them.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I grew up in Front Royal at the northern end of the Drive. It is beautiful year round! Try to get back in the spring when the mountain laurel and rhododendron are blooming. Or go early in the morning when the mist hangs over the Valley. I worked one summer at Big Meadows Lodge and was able to spend my spare time hiking and watching the deer come out into the meadow at dusk. Just magnificent!!

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
I went to college in that area, and always loved seeing all the old farmhouses. It's been a really beautiful fall here in Virginia, too, so I'm glad you could see her at her best:)

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I used to live in Sterling and drove through there many times going home to Alabama. I have a good friend who moved from Middleburg to Front Royal and I really want to go visit her during the Fall and take hubby. He's only been up there during the dead of winter. I love Northern Virginia during the Autumn months, but it truly is beautiful year round!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Thanks for that

·
Registered
251 Posts
I live in Franklin Co. were at the top of my driveway I can see mountains all around. In a short 20 min. I can be winding my way up 6 mile mountain and another 20 puts me in Floyd Co. This time of year makes my heart ache it's so beautiful. Due to the shortage of rain this year, our mountains were covered in yellow, golds and ochers. The colors have lasted well into Nov. when usually they are gone by the end of Oct. My favorite pics of my little farmhouse are taken up at the end of the drive, looking back at the house surrounded by the fall colors. I love Vuh-GIN-ya!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts