Skunk!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JennNY, Aug 26, 2006.

1. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

Well, I have seen a skunk roaming around our house this summer and have smelled it outside also, but it hasn't been a problem... Til LAST NIGHT!

The reader's digest version of the story is.... The door to one of the out buildings got propped open (by my niece, who doesn't know any better).. That building housed our barn cat and her 2 kittens. (The niece thought she'd leave the door open so the cat could get in.. nevermind it is NEVER open and the cat gets in there other ways) Anyways... I 'think' what happened is that the skunk went in there.. had a fight w/my cat.. who was probably trying to protect the kittens and there is skunk spray in that building and also in the one next to it. THEN, one of my 'lovely' children left a door open down in the basement and the cat came in the HOUSE! REEKING and I mean reeking of skunk. Oh my, it was/is so bad.. smelled like burning plastic.. it is still not out of my house and my throat hurts from breathing those fumes in all day. When we finally realized what the smell was and how it got brought in, it was too late from it being in the house. Poor cat....

2 questions...
    1. Do you think the skunk would kill the kittens? B/c we can't find them.... this is why I think it went down the way it did.
    2. How do we trap/kill/get rid of the skunk?

This was after my day getting stopped by the State Troopers TWICE yesterday. Once on my way to work and then on my way home! :grump: Neither times did I get a ticket. One was b/c she thought I was talking on a cell phone.. I don't OWN a cell phone. The other b/c he thought I was weaving and wanted to make sure I wasn't drinking. I was coming home from work and just tired.

Anyways.. thanks for any advice on the 2 above questions.

JennNY

2. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

A skunk will certainly kill and eat baby kittens if the chance arises. It is possible though the mom could have moved them to a safer spot since she knows a predator knows their location now. Pay attention to mom and see if you can find a spot she may have moved them too.

3. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

She has been meowing outside for them and trying to come into the house to look for them. (the kids would bring them in the house once in awhile) I am pretty sure they are gone.

Jenn

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I dunno, read bob clark's thread on Mt. Dew?

5. Lionrose

Lionrose Well-Known Member

Dito.

Rose