skunk under my chix coop

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mpillow, Aug 19, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I smelled it ALL night ....border collie has the darn thing trapped...

My daughter comes in and says "Mommy a black and white kitty under the chicken coop" :nono:

DON"T PLAY WITH THE KITTY....

My husband has gone to camp w/ boy and took the guns w/ him for sport....

All I have is a Thompson Contender(.410 barrel) that I cant "break".....maybe my neighbor will come by...and :help:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Were you planning on shooting it while it's still under the coop? He would stink ferociously till Christmas under there.
    If you take a hose and squirt water under there, he'd likely come out. Tie the dog.
    I've heard that if you pick them up by the tail, they can't spray you. Never tried it myself. Let us know how it goes.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We have this trouble every August....I'd fish it out after its dead :shrug:

Its sprayed under the coop already...not very strong though....

I'm gonna wait till after lunch to bother the neighbor.....but I will try to hose it out and see if we cant get a "clear" shot (minus chix and dogs)...my chickens(free ranged) are not terribly alarmed by the skunk but the dog is crazed :grump:

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

The hose worked for us after three dogs found a skunk under the livestock trailer. It was easier with two of us than me trying to hold the hose and use a shotgun at the same time. Good luck!

My ducks are so used to the early morning skunk visit that they don't even fuss when he goes into their house to eat the eggs. I can't figure out how to shoot him through the little door without shooting the ducks. Their house is attached to the barn. He comes up from under the barn through a hole by the door. We've blocked the hole and he still finds a way. As it is now I'm opening their door carefully, looking around and heaving their food into the bin before I slam the door shut and get away quickly. I half expect him to be in there one of these days. I think I'm going to have to move the ducks into the rabbitry tonight and have my first cup of coffee by the duck house tomorrow morning.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Good luck! I've got 7 in the yard so far this yr. Got 5 of em with the hay rake!

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Maybe use a needle to "doctor" an egg to kill the skunk? I get a faint smell of one every once in awhile, but haven't had one visit the property for a long time. I have several great pyr's and they pretty well keep everything away that doesn't belong here (including people! LOL ).