Skunk spray on Dogs

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by city_grown, Aug 21, 2006.

1. city_grown

city_grown Active Member

Our dogs are chained up but a skunk still decided to wander in with them - my wife smelled the skunk and looked out to see it fighting with the dogs - so they stink - What do I bathe them with to get the smell off?

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Lots of tomato juice worked for me one time. :) If you have something around they fit in (small dog - use a plastic tote, large dog - maybe a horse trough?), then bathe them in that. It's easier to do it outside rather than inside. The reason I say to put them in something, is that then you can re-use the juice by continuously pouring it over the dog. Otherwise what you pour on them gets wasted by just going all over the ground.

3. llamaqueen

llamaqueen Well-Known Member

This past February our Doberman went outside to do his morning routine and met a skunk. He took a DIRECT spray to the head. I did a search online and found this recipe that worked VERY well.

1 Qt. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 cup Baking Soda
    1 tsp. Liquid Soap

Mix in a bucket (mixture will fizz). Wet dog & thoroughly massage the solution into the coat. Be sure to keep out of the dog's eyes, nose, & mouth. Use wash clothes or a sponge to put on the dog's face.

Rinse

Discard unused portion-Don't try to store or cover!

Our Dobie is a house dog (of course) and this recipe made him house & people friendly again:)

From what I have read, tomoto juice just masks the odor. This recipe was designed to chemically bond to the skunk odor.

Hope this helps and good luck!

4. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I work in a pet store. We sell a product called Skunk Off. A woman came in today looking for a skunk product and decided not to spend the money, saying she will continue to use her formula. It was the same one as llamaqueen suggested.

5. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

it is acid that cuts the smell in all of those mixtures, use vinegar

6. housewife

housewife Well-Known Member

Last time we had this problem we used Sun Light dish soap and vinager. It worked great!!

7. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Last time our dog got skunked, I used crushed canned tomatoes and just ground them in to her coat really well. Works a little better than tomato juice because it doesn't just run off. I washed and rinsed her twice with the tomatoes and then did a wash and rinse with regular doggie shampoo. Lots of work, but got the smell out!

8. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Mix: 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup baking soda and some dish detergent. Massage this well into the fir, keeping it away from the eyes, nose and mouth. Leave it on at least 10 minutes and rinse well.

We keep hydrogen peroxide around just for when our Goldie forgets that all black and white kitties AREN'T our friends.

9. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Biz laundry enzyme with a mild soap works like a charm. I use simple green or solumel (~1/4 cup) with the Biz (2-4 TBS) in a large spritz bottle is handy. Or for the BIG job 1/2 cup soap with 1/2 cup Biz in a gallon of warm water. Use a sponge and gloves and really work it in. I haven't had any problem with not rinsing the dog(no itching or discomfort but do what you think is best). What's amazing is that after you're done neither the sponge nor the gloves smell either. It's wonderful! B

10. canine14

canine14 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I'm pregnant but my GSD/monster mix just reeks and is spending the night outside instead of in the mud room. I want to use llamaqueen's recipe but don't know what qt. stands for in the hydrogen peroxide quantity. How many cups would that translate to?

Thanks.

11. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

One quart equals four cups.

Good luck! BTDT with a Norwegian Elkhound.....needless to say wool fur holds that smell terribly!

12. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Hey there...I'm a professional dog groomer and I have to deal with this problem frequently. Most people who call me have already tried some home remedies such as the vinegar or the tomato juice. I does some good but doesn't remove it completely. The best thing I have ever used...now don't laugh....is Masengil douche. Make sure you get the Floral fragrance (pink box) and it has to be that brand. Also, they are pretty cheap at Wal-mart. You may need a few boxes if the dogs are large. Here is what you do. First shampoo the dog...work up and nice lather all over and then squirt a bunch off the Masengil all over and work into the skin with the lather of the shampoo. Let sit for 5-10 mintues. Make sure you have used your fingertips to work it in clear down to the skin. Ok, after the 5-10 minutes is up, rinse it all out. Now, squeegee off the excess water with your hands. Use more Masengil all over as a leave-on rinse. Work it in down to the skin with your fingertips. If the dogs are staying outside, just let them airdry. That would be best because you won't be drying a buch of the Masengil back off. If they are coming in or it is too chilly outside, towel dry at least. Pay close attention to the head and neck which is where they usually get it the worst. This works great. I always have happy customers!!