Skunk odor remover

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ardie/WI, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

What is that formula??????

Some use tomato juice but I seem to remember a mixture to use.

Goldie, our dog took a direct hit last night. When he came in the house,I swear that the air turned green. Awful, simply awful. He was put into the back room but I could smell it all night.

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Masingil (or however it is spelled) douche, unscented. Buy as much as you need, wash the dog in it.

3. Bigfinn

Bigfinn Member

I've had good luck with Breck shampoo. Other shampoo does not work at all, but Breck must have something in it that neutralizes the odor. good luck.

4. HUBERT

HUBERT Well-Known Member

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately. The chemical
    reaction produced from these ingredients lasts only a limited time.
    If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet, be sure to
    rinse off him or her with water. Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.

THIS IS BEST I EVER USED

5. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's three from Countryside magazine:

Wash dog using liquid soap. Repeat. Rinse soap out. Mix a paste of baking soda and water. Using rubber gloves, rub mixture into dog's hair. Let dry. Rinse well to remove baking soda paste.

Mix 1 cup baking soda in a gallon jug of warm water. Shake to dissolve. Use this to soak dog down to skin . Let sit 20 - 30 minutes. Then Shampoo and rinse well.

Bathe the animal in Dawn liquid detergent. Rinse to remove soap. Apply a vinegar douche and let dry.

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Anything with mild acid. Like tomato juice, orange juice, those citric powered mixes. Vinegar is good for a first cut on the bad smell.

Lots of washing and time.

My old pup took a direct shot in the open mouth from a skunk. Dogs can actually spit.

7. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Our Belgian took hits in the face and chest twice. Only thing that worked on that heavy coat was a product called Skunk Off that we got from the vet. Tried lots of tomato juice - smelled like a tomato sprayed by a skunk.

8. 4rnubians

4rnubians Well-Known Member

Skunk Remedy

Equal Amounts of:

liquid soap or shampoo
    baking soda
    3% hydrogen peroxide

Mix well and shampoo the victim (LOL!), being careful to avoid the eyes. I used a cup of each, washed, rinsed with water three times, applied another round of
    the mixture and let it set for about 10-15 minutes a few times. rinsing with water between each time.

Final Rinse (mix equal amounts)

Red Wine Vinegar
    Water

Apply, being careful to avoid the eyes and do not rinse off.
    I used 2 cups of vinegar to two cups of water.
    Let the vinegar solution dry on the coat naturally to absorb the odor, you can rinse it off in 6-12 hours or let it wear off naturally.

Since skunk spray is very difficult to get rid of and the smell gets worse when it rains since water reactivates the odor, it is recommended you keep a mixture of
    the water and vinegar in a spray bottle for about six months. This makes it easy to give your pet a deodorizing spritz whenever they start smelling lively again.
    Don't be surprised if your pet takes on a pinkish tinge after this treatment. Red wine vinegar will stain the fur slightly, but the usual color will come back fairly
    quickly.

9. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Mouthwash...even the $1 kind from $Gen. Wet dog thoroughly first & rub the mouthwash in all over where the HIT is .I didn't rinse. I could sleep with my dog the night after ...So glad something works as that really is pretty likely to happen around here..GrannieD

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

The odor stink of our local skunks dissipates considerably on its own in 24 - 48 hours. Is that true elsewhere?

11. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

12. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Try apple cider vinegar. Cuts the smell, but more importantly cuts down the oil from the musk glands that produce the scent. If you have a nice day and can leave them outside while they're wet, leave the vinegar on them until they're dry, then rinse.
    If that didn't seem to help, try rubbing baking soda over the animal and then using the vinegar. You may have done this when you were a kid or if you have kids as volcano experiment. When you mix the vinegar with the baking soda is fuzzes. When it does, rub the dog down and rinse with warm water if you can, this is great for dogs more directly hit. We had one that got both dogs and cats almost directly, my poor dog was a direct hit in the face. My poor husband had to wash them, I'm allergic to skunk musk. :p But it works like a charm! Good luck!

13. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

I would vote for dish soap, peroxide and baking soda all together. I saw this on Discovery Channel's Myth Busters. My one dog was skunked in November and she still has a faint odor. I used the above products, but NOT all a the same time. I also used vinegar, skunk removal prodeucts, lemon juice, tomato juice,douche and many regular baths to no avail. She still has a slight smell when she gets wet or warm and it is just this week after over 3 months that I do not constantly smell it on her neck. I was told by a groomer that it is because I used water in the beginning (don't remember using water first) and it is in her skin. Good luck!

14. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Nope, your skunks must be on drugs. Their guns are low powered. :eek:

These city ones are very potent for months and they get a lot of practice. One particular one just reeked walking around until she was dispatched with extreme provocation.

15. Renee

Renee Well-Known Member

Why the peroxide/baking soda skunk antidote works:
    ( http://www.veazievet.com/libskunk.htm )
    the solution "causes oxygen molecules to bond with the thiols, effectively neutralizing their foul-smelling odor. Krebaum originally developed the formula to rid his laboratory of odor while he was conduction research projects with thiols, compounds that are naturally produced, often in association with the degradation of protein. Later he modified the formula when a colleague asked for help with a pet cat that had encountered a skunk. The colleague reported that the formula worked like magic, removing every trace of skunk odor from the sprayed cat."
    I've heard the peroxide can blind a dog so be careful. Also the dog's coat may lighten from the peroxide bath.
    Around here February is the season for skunk encounters! For the past several Februarys I've had a dog sprayed by a skunk. Last night we actually heard a skunk fight! Of course the dog was right there to investigate and you all know what happened next! He was sprayed in the face.
    Renee

16. JAM

JAM Well-Known Member

When my 140lb. rottie came in after being sprayed by a skunk I used febreeze. It worked like a charm on him and there was never any after odor in wet weather

17. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

UPDATE: We used Febreeze on him and his bedding and he still stunk to high heaven. So, we got some Skunk Off and bathed him with that. I also washed his woven collar and sprayed that with Febreeze. After the Skunk off, he still smelled under his chin and a bit on his chest, so I sprayed that area with vinegar. I also sprayed Febreeze on the floors where I suspect DH might have walked the oil of skunk into the house.

It's a lot better BUT Goldie still smells a bit so on the weekend we're doing the peroxide, baking soda/water treatment. We'll get a new collar too.

I explained to Goldie to leave those funny looking kitties alone! :no:

18. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i used the grease cutting dawn on my cocker, along with apple cider vinegar, about 3 courses of each, and it worked pretty good. he looked mighty fuzzy for a while (stripped all the oils from his coat) but then it was time to shave him and that took care of that. the skunk off didn't work on him at all the second time he got it (wish he'd learned the first time)

19. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I do odor control as a sideline to my pest control business. For skunk odor, I use a product called Epoleon Nnz. It takes away the odor like snapping your fingers. I don't know if any of you can find it, I get it from my pesticide supplier, who doesn't sell retail. It's pricey, $50 for half a gallon. But I only use 1-2 oz per gallon of water. A half gallon is all I need to do the job. Usually, I leave a couple ounces for the customer to bathe their animal. ( I don't do the dog)

The dog is one challenge, but if it gets in the house, it's a whole different problem. Usually the poor dog rubs its face on just about every surface it can to get rid of the odor, so the whole house ends up smelling bad. Sometimes the confrontation occurs under a window, on the porch, or near the door. This will also make the whole house smell.

I have seen situations where the odor persists for weeks.

20. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

When my cat got hit i used massengils vinegar and water women's product.
    I'm sure you could mix up your own mixture. I will say though atleast when
    holding my 12 pound cat in the sink and trying to do the job, that the squeeze
    bottle was easy to use.

If you can wash any of the bedding, put vinegar in the rinse cycle and that might help.

I ended up pouring 4 gallons of vinegar around the base of part of our house where they kept coming back and they haven't come that close again.

Good luck!