Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Kay had two girls kids born this morning, mom did not drop milk, and still has not, mother is positivitly ID'd and wants her babies.
This girls are boer kiko cross and very tiny even by newborn standards and dont have any body fat, hip and shoulder points showing, they did get to cold so she brought them in they are so weak we are tube feeding them, they cant stand for long, after the fourth feeding they walked a few steps.

Is there anything that I can do more than what Im doing? They are on powdered clostorum, (I hope my doe goes tonight so I can gather some of hers for these girls.) They are on a heating pad inside a deep round dog bed as they shiver if they are out too long. Im not sure if Im giving enough, but their stomach is firm with 35 cc of milk and if they weighed more than 2lbs i would be surprised.
This is my first with kids this bad off, kay and I are going to share the care between our work scheduals, lucky me, if I have to I can take them with me.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I can't really advise you other than to suggest that you feed them often, and feed it warm.

It is easy with small kids to put them in a Rubbermaid tub or a carrier and take with, so that you don't have to be always rushing home to tend them.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not really even sure what BoSe is, so i can be certain I dont have any, can I get it at TSC tomorrow?
I emptied my chicken tub aka to most people one of the largest rubber maid tubs so that they can move away from the heat if needed. I know they are not puppies but I winging this based on that knowledge I have of whelping litters.
I fed at 8 and they can alive some about 45 min later and walked around alittle bit, peed and was ready to go back to sleep. I go in late tomorrow Im going to continue to tube tonight and try the bottle in the morning as at 2 am Im not into force...

If anyone can tell me how much they should be getting, Im just going until thier stomach feels firm but not hard.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
The kids would be better off with grocery store milk, you can then add some of the powdered colostrum to it. IF it doesn't guarantee Ieg protiens on the package it is worthless, just put them on whole vitamin D grocery store milk warmed to just under their 102 body temp.

Bo-se isn't going to help or hurt the kids at this point unless they have no sucking reflex, better would be just to gt 400 IU capsules of vitamin E from the grocery store, snip the end, squish in mouth once a day for the next week or so.

I don't do third party answers because so much is lost in translation between two people, but she needs to have a better management of her does during their dry period so more nutrition is there for the kids. It can be selenium, it can be copper, it usually is just the idea that goats can live off pasture and grass hay (which they can do just fine until you breed them) or she is riddled with cool weather worms that eat goats alive in the winter.

Make sure she at least worms the doe now that she has kidded. Vicki

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I lost the bigger of the two last night, the little one is still pretty weak but was bawling for her food this morning which was heartwarming a bit since shes not made a peep since I have had her.
Niether showed signs of wanting to nurse they just kinda stand there, but i did get the little one to swallow from a syring this morning, yesterday she would just let it run out her mouth

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I can only add that a warm water enema is a big help when they cant keep up their own body temperature. But it sounds like she is doing that ok now. I have everything crossed for you and her. Tell her she has to make it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shes been pooping like crazy this morning, still glooby not berries, still waiting on the vet to see if I can get the bose shot.
Does any one know the amount of b12 I should give her if at all? shes maybe 2lbs

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the vet said we do not have a problem with selinum defenicies here, and doesnt feel that b12 will do much good at the moment with her being what she feels is a premie

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I'm sorry you lost the one last night :( I hope this other one makes it...sounds like you are doing everything possible her

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Sorry you lost the bigger one. Those pasty yellwish poopies are good. Nice neat berries wont form for awhile yet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would use a little goat drench. No doubt someone on this list will disagree with me, but I have found that it is a big help. It is loaded with vitamins and helps give them a jump kick. Pick it up at TSC. Just give a little in the mouth.
I have always had good luck with store bought whole milk, but I add 1 can of evaporated milk to the gallon. Keep her warm and fed every few hours and hopefully she will pull thru. I have brought premies thru but it can be a real challenge.

Shannon L. Darby
SLD Farm
Beallsville, OH
http://www.sldfarm.net

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
You can't get enough nutrition in a kid by using a syringe. Take the kid to the vet and have them teach you to tube. It's simple and quick. If the kid gets dehydrated from not enough feedings it will fail.

Please don't add further low fat products to the milk, just use the milk.

Most vets have no idea of the selenium needs of goats, let alone the selenium levels in the soil of their area. It's like fighting with them about copper, something we know from testing, something they didn't learn in vet school so it isn't true.

There are just simply basic things you have to keep on hand when you are in kidding season, Bo-se, vitamin E, dex, frozen goat colostrum from a clean source that you have heat treated yourself, lactated ringers, baby supositories. Prichard teats and lambar nipples. It's not that you have to have these things on hand it's just when you don't you have to accept the loss you will have.

Try to learn to tube while the kid learns to suck. Vicki

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when I tube her i use the same amount as when i syring her, if you do it slow enough you dont get a whole lot of waste, which is why I was using 35 cc with the tube and 55 while feeding with the syring alone to allow for dribbles, so I really dont understand the difference.
The vet I use raises boer goats, so perhaps I took that for granted, is there a way to test the goats?
Dyne has allot of E, fat and B vitamins so with that I would only need to add selenium which it may have in it, sent the bottle with the baby of it so I cant read the lable.

Shes doing very well this morning I was told, so prehaps she will pull through, I think my doe is going to go today, of course I have been saying that for a month.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we started with every two hours but it seemed that she wasnt able to digest it fast enough, this was the one almost dead from getting cold, so the vet reccomended every three hours until she recovered a bit more.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
the vet said we do not have a problem with selinum defenicies here, and doesnt feel that b12 will do much good at the moment with her being what she feels is a premie
I wouldn't give her B vits either at this point since she has an appetite.
Most vets in this area would also tell you that we are not selenium deficient here and thats simply hogwash. Vets usually have no idea about the selenium needs of goats in general let alone if their area has sufficient. Not to mention, unless *everything* you feed is locally grown, the selenium status of *your* area will not reflect the selenium status of your herd......<sigh>

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My own personal goats have browse to eat most of the year and dont get suplimented, but in winter hay and feed are fed.
The selenium in the salt with it added im guessing may not be enough? Is there any testing for this?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts